• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Valuehobby Saber X 51

njswede

150cc
Well, all I can say is that it's a nearly perfect plane for me. I started 3D-ing this season and I'm still working on the basic skills. The Sabre X has an absolutely rock solid harrier at virtually any alpha, so it's the perfect plane for me to perfect the basic stuff, such as low harrier figure 8s and hovers. As for the high energy stuff, I've gotten it to do blenders, flat spins and KE spin. The KE spin is kind of funny, since it's in slow motion. :)

I'm running the Emax GT2826/05, which is a cheap but decent motor. However, I'm about to upgrade to a Motrolfly 3615/750kv to get a little bit more power to the prop and a little less heat. Kudos to the Emax, though. It performs pretty nice, considering that it costs about a third of what the Motrolfly costs. ValueHobby seems to have discontinued the Emax motor, but HeadsUpRC.com still carries it.

If you are getting this plane, do NOT go with the setup recommended on ValueHobby's site! The motor is reportedly too weak and the PowerHD servos are junk! I ripped mine out and put in Hitec HS82MGs I had sitting around. They are probably at the low end of what's acceptable for this airframe, but they're doing fine so far. If I didn't already have them, I'd probably gone for HS85MGs.

It would be nice to hear what someone with a little more experience has to say about it. But if you are like me and you've just gotten into 3D and you want to translate the skills you've gained on foamies to a "real" plane, I'd say you can't go wrong with this airframe. Especially since it sells for $119, and... are you ready for this?... VH carries spare parts for it!!!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, all I can say is that it's a nearly perfect plane for me. I started 3D-ing this season and I'm still working on the basic skills. The Sabre X has an absolutely rock solid harrier at virtually any alpha, so it's the perfect plane for me to perfect the basic stuff, such as low harrier figure 8s and hovers. As for the high energy stuff, I've gotten it to do blenders, flat spins and KE spin. The KE spin is kind of funny, since it's in slow motion. :)

I'm running the Emax GT2826/05, which is a cheap but decent motor. However, I'm about to upgrade to a Motrolfly 3615/750kv to get a little bit more power to the prop and a little less heat. Kudos to the Emax, though. It performs pretty nice, considering that it costs about a third of what the Motrolfly costs. ValueHobby seems to have discontinued the Emax motor, but HeadsUpRC.com still carries it.

If you are getting this plane, do NOT go with the setup recommended on ValueHobby's site! The motor is reportedly too weak and the PowerHD servos are junk! I ripped mine out and put in Hitec HS82MGs I had sitting around. They are probably at the low end of what's acceptable for this airframe, but they're doing fine so far. If I didn't already have them, I'd probably gone for HS85MGs.

It would be nice to hear what someone with a little more experience has to say about it. But if you are like me and you've just gotten into 3D and you want to translate the skills you've gained on foamies to a "real" plane, I'd say you can't go wrong with this airframe. Especially since it sells for $119, and... are you ready for this?... VH carries spare parts for it!!!

Awesome write up Pontus. If I didn't already have the 51" AJ Slick, I'd have bought this plane in a heartbeat to use and abuse. Seems like it's getting some rave reviews. I have a firepower 46 from headsuprc in my 51" slick, you might like that motor as well.

Glad to have you here. We've got skills development forums in a few places on the site, so be sure to check them out!

This is a sweet plane, in a lot of ways it reminds me of my 70" Slick. Probably because it flies so big. It has a bigger feeling than any 48" plane I've had, it really flies more like a 60" plane. It's only real weakness is it's not a real snappy plane, but it flies so well in all other aspects that to me it's not a big deal.

njswede

150cc
I like it more every time I fly it. It's given me the confidence to go really low. Yesterday I was playing with the high weeds at CGA (backdrop for a few of 3DHS videos). Definitely a great plane for working on those low-and-slow maneuvers. It surprises me that there isn't more buzz about this plane.

Yeah, it's weird that this thing hasn't just taken off like a wild fire. It really has become my go to plane, simply because it's so relaxing to fly. It just dosn't bite. I usually fly this plane first because it settles me so I'm more relaxed when I fly my other planes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
you guys are REALLY making me want to get one just to see what the fuss is all about!

njswede

150cc
Yesterday I even talked to a guy who was ready to buy one after seeing me fly it... That says something about the plane being able to mask my crappy flying. :D

I think part of the reason why this plane seems to be catching on slowly is because of it's size. It's in between the 48" and 60" sizes and uses equipment that dosn't transfer into a large selection of planes. Basically in this size it's either the Sabre, 51" Slick, or the new 3DHS Byper. To me if your thinking of bumping up to a larger plane from a 48" the most logical step would be a 60" because if you wreck it you have many more airframes to choose from to transfer equipment into, but the 51" size is just too limited to do this. The good thing about the Sabre though, is that it flies like a 60" plane but is easier to transport, cheaper to buy, and if you wreck it and want to you can bump up to the 3DHS Slick and have one of the best planes you can get. So to me the Sabre should be a good stepping stone airframe.