• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wanted Wanted DA-100I or 3W-110iR2 Inline Twin

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
This would be for a project that is a long way down the road but in the event there's a good used one out there and I can get it for a great price then I'd buy it early. It's hard to believe there are very many of these engines, used, sitting on shelves across the country but that's why I'm starting early with my WANTED thread.

DA_100_INLINE-500x500_1024x1024.jpeg

https://www.desertaircraft.com/collections/da-engines/products/da100-inline
http://www.aircraftinternational.com/Products/Motors/3W110iR2.aspx

Let's see what happens. :)

Thanks!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been looking for one of those engines for a while. Love the way they sound and they are really powerful. Which you luck finding one.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
OK....spill it! What's the project????

It's a pipe dream at the moment but I bought the Jerry Bates plans for a 1/4 scale P-51 B/C, 112" wingspan. Sounds crazy, it is crazy, but it's a bucket list item so I might as well get it taken care of. Was going to fly novice category with it. :)

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I have been looking for one of those engines for a while. Love the way they sound and they are really powerful. Which you luck finding one.
Thanks Snoop. It would be neat to make a custom exhaust to direct it out of scale stacks. I can weld, don't know if I can shape metal to make that work though. Need an engine first!

Does it seem wacky to anyone to put a German 3W engine in a P-51?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Snoop. It would be neat to make a custom exhaust to direct it out of scale stacks. I can weld, don't know if I can shape metal to make that work though. Need an engine first!

Does it seem wacky to anyone to put a German 3W engine in a P-51?
I guess if you put it that way it does seem strange. But you do not have RR V 12 so the 3W will just do fine, and when it is built in nobody will be the wiser.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It is definitely "NOT" wacky to put a "dub" in a Stang. After all, that is also my intention as well. But I am really wanting to find a "CS" for my project. Maybe I should be doing the same thing. Posting a wanted add. I would love to have a 150'ish inline twin for my project. Guess we'll see what turns up. The Don Smith 112" calls for a 5.8. Pretty sure that if it actually comes in at the weight they suggest, a 5.8 will be so anemic that that plane probably won't get off the ground. a warbird in the excess of 45 pounds powered by a 5.8? Yeah, I don't think so. LOL

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
5.8 cu. in. is about 100cc. They used to fly these big planes with all sorts of smaller engines so I'd think 100cc would be ok. I was actually thinking an 85 with gear reduction would be better but the engines are already so small and light I don't think they cold handle having a gear or belt reduction bolted to them but I really haven't looked into it.

What's a CS?