• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Have you ever taken a piece of covering to your Lowe’s or Home-Depot or something like that to do a colour match with some paints and tried it.
I do this all the time. Always get a perfect match. @BalsaDust does it and then he mixes the paint 50/50 I think with Minwax Polycrylic and sprays it on with an airbrush. I haven’t tried that method yet but he says it works great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I do this all the time. Always get a perfect match. @BalsaDust does it and then he mixes the paint 50/50 I think with Minwax Polycrylic and sprays it on with an airbrush. I haven’t tried that method yet but he says it works great.
Thanks for that I am going to try that. And by the way have not heard from @BalsaDust for quite a while wonder how he is doing.
Wonder if he mixes it polyurethaning or polycrylic have not heard of the last one.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the old story of Ultracote colour matching form one batch to another has bit me in the but again. You think you would learn, have two rolls of Ultracote midnight blue and they are not quite the same colour match. It is on the bottom so I left it, was not prepared to rip it off and do it again. Will have to make sure that I do not make the same mistake on the top of the wing.

TonyHallo

150cc
Have you ever taken a piece of covering to your Lowe’s or Home-Depot or something like that to do a colour match with some paints and tried it.

What kind of paint do you get at Lowes or HD?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@pawnshopmike we making some progress at least going down a road that my produce some results. Hopefully @BalsaDust contacts us and let’s us know how and what he mixes in to the paint from lows. And also what paint type. Ok I am starting to get excited, have some time to sort this out, the weather is to cold to paint and we are in strict lockdown.

-Rick-

100cc
Vinyl is a good alternative but can I get it in Ultracote colours. I an trying all this to match Ultracote Orange, midnight blue and white. I yes I know about west wings paint company they make a good product but well over 300 dollars to paint a cowl is to much for me did it once worked well but not again.
Maybe you can check with a local vinyl sign shop. I always go to one near me and they give me their scraps. The Scraps I get are big enough to cover a plane! I use them to make decals for my planes. They usually have lots of colours and some do match my covering. Sometimes they will cut a small piece from a roll for free if that is the colour I need.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
What kind of paint do you get at Lowes or HD?
I just have them mix up a small sample of whichever the machine says is a close match.

5497C69F-B514-47F5-9DEF-4DC2535D6E27.jpeg
68729AFF-3B7E-4E6B-80BE-95ABCEAF636D.jpeg