• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/4 Scale 148" Shrike Commander

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You can do some really curvy shapes using planking. I did it on my scratch build 30's racer and it's got lots of curves!

I made a tool for beveling the edges using a Master Airscrew Balsa Striper. Beveling gives you better joints. I used CA to attach the planks to the framework, and Sig Sigment to glue the joints between the planks. The Sigment sands really well.

View attachment 108306 View attachment 108307 View attachment 108308 View attachment 108309 View attachment 108310 View attachment 108311 View attachment 108312 View attachment 108315 View attachment 108316
Ever time I see that plane I love it. And it is what I call a proper scratch build. Boy if only you had the time and or the will to do that plane again larger so tha you could install a 250 radial into it.. I would at your door begging for the drawings so that I could also build one.

Patto

70cc twin V2
I did some planking around the nose. It turned out okay. I could have done better I think.

While I was removing the plans from the bench tonight, I placed the fuse in its foam stand on the floor. My son pointed out that there's a significant lean to the left for all of the tail formers. It turns out the tail is twisted a few degrees. I wasn't able to see it before. It's very discouraging to see it now. I believe it has to do with the modifications to some of the formers between the wing and tail.

With the sheeting in place, therest no easy way to twist it out. I may be able to get away with removing some sheeting, but it'll be a chore.

No pics. It's embarrassing.

Patto

70cc twin V2
I've decided to set this project aside for now. I'm not having any fun building anymore, and this is supposed to be fun. When nothing lines up correctly and after so many hours it still looks very questionable, it's time to take a break. I'll have to start all over on the fuse if I decide to try it again.

I'm going to build something else for now. My apologies to everyone following this thread.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've got one on the bench like that! Trying to get the struts done so I can hang it from the ceiling and work on something else.

You gave it a try, maybe some ideas will percolate out of your head on how you can do it better the next time and you'll be back at it eventually.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've decided to set this project aside for now. I'm not having any fun building anymore, and this is supposed to be fun. When nothing lines up correctly and after so many hours it still looks very questionable, it's time to take a break. I'll have to start all over on the fuse if I decide to try it again.

I'm going to build something else for now. My apologies to everyone following this thread.

Time to re-kindle the fire elsewhere!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Where do you live? A friend of mine has one that's about half done that he'd love to sell you. He bought it pretty much as it is and hasn't had the time to do much to it.