Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/4 Scale 148" Shrike Commander

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Patto, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Ever time I see that plane I love it. And it is what I call a proper scratch build. Boy if only you had the time and or the will to do that plane again larger so tha you could install a 250 radial into it.. I would at your door begging for the drawings so that I could also build one.

Patto likes this.
  2. Patto

Patto 70cc twin V2

I did some planking around the nose. It turned out okay. I could have done better I think.

While I was removing the plans from the bench tonight, I placed the fuse in its foam stand on the floor. My son pointed out that there's a significant lean to the left for all of the tail formers. It turns out the tail is twisted a few degrees. I wasn't able to see it before. It's very discouraging to see it now. I believe it has to do with the modifications to some of the formers between the wing and tail.

With the sheeting in place, therest no easy way to twist it out. I may be able to get away with removing some sheeting, but it'll be a chore.

No pics. It's embarrassing.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  3. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Dang. Hopefully you will find a way to straighten it.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  4. Patto

Patto 70cc twin V2

It can be done. It's just one more thing...

5. Patto

Patto 70cc twin V2

I've decided to set this project aside for now. I'm not having any fun building anymore, and this is supposed to be fun. When nothing lines up correctly and after so many hours it still looks very questionable, it's time to take a break. I'll have to start all over on the fuse if I decide to try it again.

I'm going to build something else for now. My apologies to everyone following this thread.

AKNick likes this.
  6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Sorry to hear that. Take look at it at a later date and it may not be that bad.

7. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

I've got one on the bench like that! Trying to get the struts done so I can hang it from the ceiling and work on something else.

You gave it a try, maybe some ideas will percolate out of your head on how you can do it better the next time and you'll be back at it eventually.

stangflyer likes this.
  8. AKNick

AKNick 150cc

Alaska
    Time to re-kindle the fire elsewhere!

stangflyer likes this.
  9. Patto

Patto 70cc twin V2

Thank you, gents. I'm going to build a Hostetler Super Decathlon next. Simple airplane, one engine, no retracts or flaps... Just need to build something that doesn't make me hate building!

WMcNabb, pawnshopmike and stangflyer like this.
  10. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

Where do you live? A friend of mine has one that's about half done that he'd love to sell you. He bought it pretty much as it is and hasn't had the time to do much to it.