• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

10-12S Power and servo system for 78" airplanes

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
So I have resigned myself to the fact that nobody will buy my Challenger so I guess I will part it out and keep the airframe for when the urge to fly it again strikes me.

Motor: Scorpion SII 5525-210, still NIB from warranty replacement of an earlier version, the S5525-225. I had magnet issues with that first one, supposedly this new version has those issues fixed.

ESC: Castle ICE2 120HV, has been rock solid for me.

Servos: 2X Hitec 7955 for ailerons, 2X Hitec 7775 for elevators. The 7775's are low profile, very fast, and center well. A friend of mine has been flying a set of them on the elevators of his 78 Extra for a few years now with no issues and plenty of power.

Regulator: Smart-Fly Sport Reg. Has redundant power capabilities and will work with a soft switch. The Challenger had 8 servos and it never missed a beat. Use with 2x 2S 1100 for all day flying capabilities.

Also, a Xoar 20x10 and a 22x10. 22x10 will work on 10S, 20x10 is probably a good choice on 12S, though I have not tested it.

I was getting about 3000-3200 watts from this set up on 10S with the older 5525-225 and nothing got hot.

You will need a rudder servo.

$650

If you want a more powerful set-up, you can skip the regulator and 7775's and run everything on HV and provide your own elevator and rudder servos. For that, $500.

Last edited by a moderator: