• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 112” - Taylorcraft by HeyLuc & Snoopy.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Look forward to seeing how this looks out of the bag. I reckon it should look similar to the stuff EF uses in their airframes now though they don't use Carbon Fiber. Instead they just use fiberglass and tint the resin black as it just looks better.
This the firewall after vacuum bagging. There is 2 layers of 6oz carbon cloth per side.
IMG_0051.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What is the thickness of the plywood? That looks to be a bullet proof firewall.
You are correct it is a little over done, but this plane will need some nose weight so the firewall Is a little over done. 2- 1/4” Burch ply and then 2 layers of 6oz carbon cloth on either side.. one thing I have had problems with over the years is firewalls compressing over time. I mean after 10 years of flying not 2 to 5 years. We will see how this stands up over time.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
You are correct it is a little over done, but this plane will need some nose weight so the firewall Is a little over done. 2- 1/4” Burch ply and then 2 layers of 6oz carbon cloth on either side.. one thing I have had problems with over the years is firewalls compressing over time. I mean after 10 years of flying not 2 to 5 years. We will see how this stands up over time.

Kevlar should be better in compression loads than carbon fiber but that's quite the layup! Should be super duper strong!

Last edited:

N99JH

New to GSN!
Hi Luc

I apologize for posting this here but see no option for sending a PM.

I am looking for someone with good 3D CAD skills to design a large wing and possibly CNC or Laser cut the wing ribs for me. I want to build a twing turbine 1/6 scale model of the English Electric Canberra. Of course I am willing to pay for the effort. Is this something you may be interested in doing?

Best Regards

Josh Harel

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Kevlar should be better in compression loads than carbon fiber but that's quite the layup! Should be super duper strong!
Do not like Kevlar difficult to work with and almost impossible to wet out properly. The only way I believe or would try to use Kevlar is by infusion to prevent air pockets.

heyluc

New to GSN!
Hi Luc

I apologize for posting this here but see no option for sending a PM.

I am looking for someone with good 3D CAD skills to design a large wing and possibly CNC or Laser cut the wing ribs for me. I want to build a twing turbine 1/6 scale model of the English Electric Canberra. Of course I am willing to pay for the effort. Is this something you may be interested in doing?

Best Regards

Josh Harel
Hi Josh, sent you a PM. Luc

TonyHallo

150cc
Ordered some Kevlar to play with, I think it will be a great wheel pant reinforcement where they tend to crack around the wheel opening. I plan to wet it out on a piece of wax paper. The special purpose scissors are a must.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ordered some Kevlar to play with, I think it will be a great wheel pant reinforcement where they tend to crack around the wheel opening. I plan to wet it out on a piece of wax paper. The special purpose scissors are a must.
Keep us informed be interested to hear your thoughts on how easy or difficult it is to work with. The scissors are they the same for Kevlar and carbon. Should look into a pair they probably not cheap and difficult to find.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is the back portion of the cowl plug. First a framework was built then sheeted with 3/32 balsa, filled and sanded smooth. Then glassed with 2 layers of 2 1/4 oz cloth, then filled with spot putty several times and sanded till we have what you see.
The front section will 3D printed and glued on to the front. Then when that is all blended and smooth a plug will made from it.

7AB465EE-76C0-4022-82DD-A9174F038523.jpeg