• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 112” - Taylorcraft by HeyLuc & Snoopy.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys I need all the help I can get. This cowl has been tough part for me on the build. I don’t mind scratch building but I will try to never to build a cowl again. Buy a cowl that is close to the shape of the front of the plane you want to build then change the design a little to match the cowl.
@TonyHallo , @dhal22

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it is built but a long way to go before it is finished. Needs a lot of sanding and blending. Needs an epoxy coat on the inside and a drain line in the bottom. Also need tuning holes done in line with the carburetor, and a hole out the bottom for the choke. And final the gap sanded with the cowl. The cowl is just sitting there it is not screwed on tight.
Well not bad it took me 4 days to get the basic balsa structure built.

83FBF674-85C1-488F-AEDB-E1539701BAA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I am as very pleased after all the work to build a balsa cowl because the fibreglass one that was originally built for the plane was very nice and scale and fitted the plane it was just to heavy for me it came in at 32.8 oz. the balsa cowl came in at 8.6oz. That is a weight saving of 24.2 oz. that is huge weight savings for me.

BalsaDust

I am as very pleased after all the work to build a balsa cowl because the fibreglass one that was originally built for the plane was very nice and scale and fitted the plane it was just to heavy for me it came in at 32.8 oz. the balsa cowl came in at 8.6oz. That is a weight saving of 24.2 oz. that is huge weight savings for me.
What was your layup on the Fiberglass version. 32 oz sounds very heavy.

TonyHallo

150cc
I just weighted the cowl for the 30% Chipmunk, it is a large cowl 12 1/2" wide and 18" long, it is just over 16 ounces. Based on thickness I would say it is about 12 ounces per yard of cloth.
That's one nice job there Snoop.

IMG_3081-1.jpg