• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30 cc plane: Tomcat G160 motor - anyone have one?

I'm looking for a cheap motor for an old 30 cc airframe (the one in my current avatar) and came across this motor:

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=552

Does anyone have any experience with this motor or have ideas for a cheap alternatives? I don't expect high performance out of the system, I just want it to last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I'm looking for a cheap motor for an old 30 cc airframe (the one in my current avatar) and came across this motor:

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=552

Does anyone have any experience with this motor or have ideas for a cheap alternatives? I don't expect high performance out of the system, I just want it to last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks!

I just put a Tomcat G90 in my Aerobeez 64 MXS-R, I've only got two flights on it. It seems like a nice motor, but also seems a little under powered for a G90. It only cost me $59 so I took a chance, certainly seems like a much more expensive motor.

Thanks for the reply, I've decided to take a chance on this motor - for $80.00 how bad can it be?!! It looks like the line is carried by more than a few vendors, Redwing and Grayson Hobby for two so the motor must be somewhat decent....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the reply, I've decided to take a chance on this motor - for $80.00 how bad can it be?!! It looks like the line is carried by more than a few vendors, Redwing and Grayson Hobby for two so the motor must be somewhat decent....

Let us know what you think. I purchased mine for the exact same reason, for $59 might as well check it out. I bought my G90 at Grayson hobbies, Redwing did not carry that model.

I've got about 8 flights on the motor and I like it a lot. I went with a 10s set up with a 20x10 APC prop. Pulls 70A @ 2300 + watts for 7 mns of flight time. I have 3300 60c and 5000 mAh batteries - 4000 would be the sweet spot.

My only gripe is the throttle response, its super slow - so slow that Harrier's are impossible. I have not adjusted the ESC (Castle ICE 120HV) yet but imagine I can improve it somewhat. That being said, the airframe is old and heavy so its probably better off just flying pattern anyway.