• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% toc yak

yfz450

New to GSN!
I just picked up A used toc yak 30% with a da 50r xoar 22x8 beechwood. Plane is 18 pounds. Flys great but is very very slow out of a hover. What prop would be best ?

AKfreak

150cc
You need to shed a pound or 2, 18 is a little heavy for that plane. 22x8 is the right prop, I have the same plane at 16+ pounds, it punches out fine.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I just picked up A used toc yak 30% with a da 50r xoar 22x8 beechwood. Plane is 18 pounds. Flys great but is very very slow out of a hover. What prop would be best ?

Congrats on the plane! Show us some pics!

AKfreak

150cc
Loose the Aluminum Lading gear and heavy spats. Use CF LG and no wheel pants, use hard foam wheels also. Loose the Aluminum Wing Tube and use a CF one. Loose the Aluminum Tail wheel and use a CF one. That's is a huge start that should buy you 1 1/2 lbs

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Loose the Aluminum Lading gear and heavy spats. Use CF LG and no wheel pants, use hard foam wheels also. Loose the Aluminum Wing Tube and use a CF one. Loose the Aluminum Tail wheel and use a CF one. That's is a huge start that should buy you 1 1/2 lbs

Great suggestions AKFreak!

AKfreak

150cc
Yeah, after you change the easy stuff, you can start in on the fuel system. A fortitude or Fiji setup with ceramic clunk will help shed a few oz. Also the exhaust can be heavenly. For example a Pitts style vs the stock muffler is a lot of weight. Also hardware is a place to shed weight. Titanium ain't cheap but it sure is light. The motor mount bolts (8 of them on standoffs) can be quite heavy if you aren't careful.

If you want to get serious and shed weight, I have seen some experienced builders use carbon fiber cloth and bracing to strengthen things that they have removed.

Shedding weight can get crazy, but the rewards are often worth it, because you can never make a heavy plane fly like a light one ;)

yfz450

New to GSN!
The wheels and pants only weigh 65 grams each side that wheels and the pants. It had just wheels when I got it and each wheel by its self was 125g...the tail wheel assembly is already carbon fiber.I did check into carbon fiber landing gear manufacturer specs saY .6 of a pound. Where the stock is .8 so not much there. But will be doing it any way.it already Has a pitts muffler.the linkages are titanium servo arms are aluminum.I know what time is it fairly large tank Sullivan is the brand I will be checking into that maybe go to a smaller one and a fortitude this will be a massive work in progress to shed some weight.on the upside the plane is super floaty in all aspects of flying.just slow on pull out. I did pick up a 23x8 witch made a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.