• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Covering should arrive tomorrow. Traced the Raven's feather pattern from the less-damaged left wing. Glad I had that much of a template to go on. I'll just flip it over for the right wing.
DSC05094.JPG

BTW - I removed the center strip of black primarily to inspect the sheeting along the top of the spar. All looks good...still counting my blessings that the plane wasn't damaged any more than it was. All main internal components of the wings and fuse were not damaged at all. :fist_pump:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Getting closer to finished on the Raven repair and clearing the way for getting back on the Krill....:confused:. Ailerons covered. Left wing covered, ail glued and servos installed (Savox 1230SG, 500 oz/in). Right wing almost done, just need to get the yellow outlines on the feathers....what a PITA these are!!!!!!

Should have this thing ready to fly by next week....I hope!
DSC05105.JPG
DSC05099.JPG DSC05102.JPG DSC05109.JPG

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Awesome job Earle. Looks great!

That yellow outline looks tedious. I think I would have laid down the yellow first in one solid piece. Then overlaid the black. Or would that be the totally wrong way to do it?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I though about that but didn't want to lay that much covering over another layer of covering. I only put enough red on the wing so the black overlaps it.

The yellow turned out OK....just did it in smaller sections, like a few feathers at a time. The original covering was done in a similar fashion at the factory, although they did lay red for the whole wing before laying the black on.

Anyway...on to gluing the ailerons!!!!

Attachments

• DSC05119.jpg
    DSC05119.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 314

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
This has got to be the longest (time-wise) thread about building an ARF....:confused:. Now that the current (2018) flying season is winding down here in the NE, I will be clearing my workbench and getting back into the Krill once again. Yeah....I know....promises, promises...lol. Hard to believe this plane is 6 years old.....:doh!:

Figured I'd give this thread a bump so I could find it easier. :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nicely done that is not an easy wing to cover. The only thing when I see a big piece of black covering like that I just cringe when that is in the hot mid summer sun shine how it might wrinkle, but it does look good.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
This has got to be the longest (time-wise) thread about building an ARF....:confused:. Now that the current (2018) flying season is winding down here in the NE, I will be clearing my workbench and getting back into the Krill once again. Yeah....I know....promises, promises...lol. Hard to believe this plane is 6 years old.....:doh!:

Figured I'd give this thread a bump so I could find it easier. :)
I for one will never judge you for taking too long. I just recently finished a restoration project on a 68 Super Sport Nova that I started on in 2013. Now my own car has been sitting since I started flying again in 2011. One if these days I guess.