• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

35 Sbach Scratchbuild

abaser

50cc
I'm postponing the maiden until new servos arrive. I was doing preflight checks last night and found one had lost its centering abilities. Just can't chance it.

To be continued.....

abaser

50cc
We all will be anxiously waiting to hear how it goes and best of luck when the time comes :thumbup:

Shouldn't be much longer. I've got new servos on the way, and I've upgraded to a 6v battery that is also in transit. Hopefully they will be in this week sometime.

abaser

50cc
New servos are here at last!!! Problem is, today is my anniversary, and I want to keep the wife happy, so I may not get much time today to play. However, I did manage to test a couple out this morning. All I can say is, WOW!! Im impressed so far by what Im seeing. The Solar 658s are very quick to respond to the slightest of touch on the sticks, and releasing the stick from full throw gives a bouncing servo arm keeping up with the bouncing stick. My power HD servos gave me hell before being sloppy, and weak feeling, but with the new 6v battery (up from 4.8), even those would be impressive if it weren't for the center slack. Speed is the fastest Ive seen from a servo, not that Ive seen much beyond Futaba 3004s, but they are fast. I cant wait to get the mounts opened up a bit to accommodate the slightly larger Solars and get them on controls to see what they will do there. For $12 a pop, Im very impressed. Just wish they would've come with the mounting hardware. Screws are no issue, but what about the little rubber bushings and brass grommets? are they not used on smaller servos like this, or should I start looking for some? Either way, I wont promise they wont get hard mounted for the first few flights. :D

abaser

50cc
Put the final touches on this last night. All that's left is to find my fuel tubing, and plumb the tank to the engine. Just in time to maiden for the ft Smith fly.........oh wait, I can't go:( Guess I'll just have to do it alone with my camera so I can share that way.

abaser

50cc
Ok guys, I've got a flight window here. Problem is, the sbach won't leave the ground. What should I start looking at first?

abaser

50cc
I think I may have it figured out (explained in a moment). I ended up hand launching, and here's the story.

The maiden has taken place. There is no video though, because I pushed the wrong button on my glasses. The day started out looking like it wasn't going to happen. I tried four takeoff attempts, only to have it run the length of the runway and not leave the ground. I can't for the life of me figure out why it wont takeoff on its own, unless my main gear is too short, and my no longer present tail gear was too long, leaving it at the wrong attack angle to generate enough lift.

On the fourth takeoff attempt, I ripped the tail gear out taxiing back to me, and punctured several holes in the fuselage and rudder, along with causing a prop strike. After a quick prop change, and masking tape patch job on the holes (that's right, I said masking tape), I said the hell with it. Fired that thing back up, grabbed my tx in my left hand, the canopy in my right, opened the throttle, and give her a nice shove. The first few moments were tense, but I managed the jitters long enough to save it. Trimmed it out, flew a few quick rounds taking it easy, and brought her in for a checkup. I thought I saw the horizontal flexing during flight, but things looked ok. Refueled and repeated the hand launch. This time it went a little smoother. I started getting a little wilder with it trying to test what it will do, and Ive gotta say, Ive got a LOT of getting used to to do. This thing is QUICK to respond. Does flat spins very nicely. After about 5-6 minutes, I started trying to get into a harrier. That's when I noticed that adding elevator made it pull right. Something just didnt feel right, so I brought it in. My first thoughts about the horizontal flexing turned out to be true. Its completely loose from the fuselage now, so I will be modifying that location to strengthen it up. Ill also be adding a skid instead of a tail wheel to prevent ripping it out again, and of course, patching the MANY holes caused by the tail gear flopping around. Until next flight.