• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 48" vyper

gyro

GSN Contributor
I recently got asked some questions via PM about this airplane, so I just wanted to post a few of the answers here.

Q- Omega 130 on 4s, is it good?
A- Heck yeah! My first two SuperVypers were built with the Omeag 130g on 4s power. I really liked how well the Omega handled the 750 or so watts with ease, and the 12x6 is plenty of prop for this plane. I even tried a 13x5 and it worked well also, and made some of the 3d manuevers easier. That said, I still thought the 12x6 was the perfect combo with the Omega.

Q- Will it 3D?
A- Yes! Is it as easy to 3D as a 48" Edge? No! This plane is a Hybrid between precision/pattern and all out 3D. So it has to give up a little in some areas so that it can excell at both. What I found was that the wing rock was increased compared to a traditional 3D airplane, such as the 47" SHP or 48" Edge. However, some have said that the extra effort to fly this airplane 3D style transferred over to other airplanes, and made them better pilots. For me, I haven't felt as confident with any other 48" airplane doing both slow and fast Knife Edge passes a few feet off the ground. This airplane completely locks in to KE flight, and really builds confidence.

Q- 4s or 3s, pull-pull or tail servo?
A- I liked it better on 4s. It is such a light (yet strong) design that it was fun to really open the throttle up and zip aronud sideways. 3s wasn't slow by any stretch, but for me, the Vyper really came alive on 4s. I like the idea of a tail servo setup for the rudder, because you can still transittion between 3s and 4s if you want to, just by changing the prop and using a 3s2660 to a 4s2200. With the servo in the tail, you can easily put the CG where you want it by adjusting the battery on the battery tray.

Hope this helps, and I'll be posting a mini-review of a 48" SV that I'm going to start building within the next week to few weeks.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maiden flight had some trouble as the battery developed an open circuit in flight, leading to a deadstick, with a broken prop/shaft and broken landing gear. ,
However, I did fly enough to decide the Solar Aileron and Elevator servos I had were total junk.
Got some Savox SH-0257MG servos to use instead.
She won't be flying for a little while until the motor comes back...

SnowDog

Maiden flight had some trouble as the battery developed an open circuit in flight, leading to a deadstick, with a broken prop/shaft and broken landing gear. ,
However, I did fly enough to decide the Solar Aileron and Elevator servos I had were total junk.
Got some Savox SH-0257MG servos to use instead.
She won't be flying for a little while until the motor comes back...

what did you find was wrong about the Savox servos?

gyro

GSN Contributor
what did you find was wrong about the Savox servos?

Nothing wrong with the Savox servos... They're replacing the Solar ones.
I just didn't like the way the solars performed in the Vyper. Seemed like the torque and speed weren't what was advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:

rpstar

30cc
Just picked one of these up at SEFF (yellow one). Ben sold me on it. Should be fun as I like pattern flying more than 3d. Have a leader 480 and it's great for touch and goes and very precise in flying but has a tiny rudder so knife-edge is pretty much non-existent (at least it is for me). I'll start out with the 12x6 but might go with a higher pitch, lower width prop for speed as I want this to be zippy pattern plane more than 3d. Maybe a 11x8 or something.

I second you on the Solar servos. I had some as part of a buyout of another flyer that I threw on my Techone Swift foamy and they suck pretty badly. Centering is poor. Plan to pull them off and put on something better I've got around (probably some e-flite ones).

On the Vyper I'm tempted to try some PowerHD digital servos as I keep hearing good things about them. Savox is also of interest.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just picked one of these up at SEFF (yellow one). Ben sold me on it. Should be fun as I like pattern flying more than 3d. Have a leader 480 and it's great for touch and goes and very precise in flying but has a tiny rudder so knife-edge is pretty much non-existent (at least it is for me). I'll start out with the 12x6 but might go with a higher pitch, lower width prop for speed as I want this to be zippy pattern plane more than 3d. Maybe a 11x8 or something.

I second you on the Solar servos. I had some as part of a buyout of another flyer that I threw on my Techone Swift foamy and they suck pretty badly. Centering is poor. Plan to pull them off and put on something better I've got around (probably some e-flite ones).

On the Vyper I'm tempted to try some PowerHD digital servos as I keep hearing good things about them. Savox is also of interest.

The Vyper is a KE monster, you'll love it! Which power system? The Omega 130 on 4s and 11x8 is nuts! Just make sure to add a small cooling baffle to the large mouth opening, so that the engine gets some of that cooling air.

I just sold my Vyper at the FLI Dallas, but it had Savox SH-0255 on the ailerons and elevator, and a solar d658 on the rudder. Not a ton of flights, but everything worked well while I had it.

Let us know what you do!