• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 58" Edge 540

weaser42

30cc
5 min flights, but I typically end up around 3.75-3.8 V per cell as I try to fly down to around storage voltage with all my packs. I would not mind trying out a bit larger packs, I share these with my Protos Heli which I already had when I got the 58 which is how I ended up using the 2500's. I also have a 64" MXS I fly on 6S 4000 which I share with my 65" Vyper and Osiris and I would not mind going a bit smaller on that one. I've wondered if perhaps I could get one pack in the middle of the 2500 and 4000's which would work on both the 58 and 64 though as I'm not sure I'd want more than a 3000 on the 58 or less than a 3600 on the MXS:)

gyro

GSN Contributor
5 min flights, but I typically end up around 3.75-3.8 V per cell as I try to fly down to around storage voltage with all my packs. I would not mind trying out a bit larger packs, I share these with my Protos Heli which I already had when I got the 58 which is how I ended up using the 2500's. I also have a 64" MXS I fly on 6S 4000 which I share with my 65" Vyper and Osiris and I would not mind going a bit smaller on that one. I've wondered if perhaps I could get one pack in the middle of the 2500 and 4000's which would work on both the 58 and 64 though as I'm not sure I'd want more than a 3000 on the 58 or less than a 3600 on the MXS:)

I've been flying two packs on my MXS. I have the Zippy 6s 3000 40c packs and the Glacier 6s 3300 packs, which you can link to here: http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_23&products_id=366

I did a review on the glacier batts in my MXS, and they work out awesome, and are actually a couple of grams lighter than the Zippys (which I'd never buy again)

My battery logger calculates the 75% usage time at 6:30, and i'm very heavy on the throttle.

hope this helps a little!

-G

St3v3

30cc
With regard to the waterfalls maybe its my set up, I started off with a Hacker A40-14S, 6 cell lipo, 15x7 prop and JP 85A esc, halfway through the second flight it died, I'd been taking things easy as well, I managed to get it down in one piece, I had a burnt out esc and the motor was really stiff, so I'm not sure if the esc damaged the motor or vice versa, I tried hooking the motor up to another esc when I got home, after a short burst the esc got pretty hot, this is the second hacker motor I've had problems with on maiden flights so I'm sticking to other manufacturers from now on.

After all of that I went for a Torque Revolution 4016T/500 MKII and an Airboss 80A esc, I've had no problems at all with the set up, I've not altered any of the esc settings so maybe its just a case of the throttle pick up not being quick enough.

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Torque / Airboss combos are solid as granite! I'm putting one in my 58" edge as well, but it is an older Torque 4014 T / 570kv, and will run it on 4S with a 16x8. will be plenty powerful, for sure.

SnowDog

I'm going to start to source the equipment for the 58" Edge I picked up dirt cheap at a swap meet. I think I've got the power system figured out (4s 4000mAh, 85A ZTW OPTO, 6A ZTW SBEC and a motor yet to be named). But what I'm debating is whether to go for HS-5245MG or HS-225MG. Is it worth the extra $60 to get the 5245MGs?

I've got 225MG's on mine and they work fine...granted I'm not an expert 3D pilot, but I figure they are a good start. If something happens to them, I'll get something bigger/stronger, but for now, they are working just fine, I have no complaints...and I love this airframe!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Is it worth the extra $60 to get the 5245MGs?

I have seen some semi old posts that indicate a problem with the 5245's with a gear set retaining pin pulling out of the top case retainer and their is even a mod to improve this. Seems disturbing but what is not clear to me is if HiTec is sending out current servos with an improved case (there was talk about it) Does anyone know more about this?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, I just sent in 4 HS-5245 servos that had around 250 flights because they had developed some slop.

Hitec called within a week of me sending them in with the news:

The cause of the slop wasn't gear wear, but rather the cases on all 4 were worn at the point where the retaining pin goes into the upper case. This is the area that is being discussed... It's costing me $40 for new cases and return shipping.

I'm cool with this... I figure that airplanes are like cars, and certain parts require maintenance or repair periodically.
Servos that need new cases after 200-250 flights is fine with me.

-G

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Over on RCG some of the EF guys have not been so lucky. Sounds like you did good by preflighting your gear and noticing the slop because when the pin comes out the gear locks. Chris J has some interesting internal pictures of the case and the pin pushed right through the side of the retaining boss. The fix is simple to drill through the case and install a longer pin. I have a problem with that because no doubt it will void your warranty.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Over on RCG some of the EF guys have not been so lucky. Sounds like you did good by preflighting your gear and noticing the slop because when the pin comes out the gear locks. Chris J has some interesting internal pictures of the case and the pin pushed right through the side of the retaining boss. The fix is simple to drill through the case and install a longer pin. I have a problem with that because no doubt it will void your warranty.

Another mod would be to install a metal bushing or washer to hold it better.