• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60" Yak-55

[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION]You described my setup precisely.
Again, the question is what is the optimal spec for the battery.

gyro

GSN Contributor
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION]You described my setup precisely.
Again, the question is what is the optimal spec for the battery.

Simple... IMHO Glacier 6s3300 or 4s4000.

I've always run the 6s3300 on this size class plane, and never had a balance issue to date. :)

mazjag

50cc
My AUW is 86 oz...I added a 1/2 oz in the tail and I figure I need to add may be another 1/2 to make it neutral. I don`t see why mine would come out nose heavy... I`m using a Castle 100 amp ESC with internal BEC, 5245 hitechs, 4016t motor, and 6s 3300s....I even made a tray and mounted the RX aft of wing tube...I`m not worried about the 1 oz. as the plane flew pretty light. Customer service for 3DHS for me has been fine BTW and they always email me back, but I do see some guys complaining, but I`m not one of them..

gyro

GSN Contributor
My AUW is 86 oz...I added a 1/2 oz in the tail and I figure I need to add may be another 1/2 to make it neutral. I don`t see why mine would come out nose heavy... I`m using a Castle 100 amp ESC with internal BEC, 5245 hitechs, 4016t motor, and 6s 3300s....I even made a tray and mounted the RX aft of wing tube...I`m not worried about the 1 oz. as the plane flew pretty light. Customer service for 3DHS for me has been fine BTW and they always email me back, but I do see some guys complaining, but I`m not one of them..

Where is your esc? Can you shift it back at all? I've had good luck putting them under the battery tray

mazjag

50cc
Oh, that is a good idea...I have it mounted on top of the motor box. I honestly have everything all mounted so I`ll probably not mess with it. The 1 oz. of weight is not the thing holding me back from the XFC, its my thumbs...:D

gyro

GSN Contributor
Oh, that is a good idea...I have it mounted on top of the motor box. I honestly have everything all mounted so I`ll probably not mess with it. The 1 oz. of weight is not the thing holding me back from the XFC, its my thumbs...:D

Lol funny! 1oz of weight probably won't make a huge difference, just thought I'd suggest another option :)

mazjag

50cc
Oh, it was a good tip...I also added a sheet of ply for a better battery tray..Not sure if Gyro and I are the only guys doing this? You can literally rip the tray out of one and become a lawn dart when the battery ejects...I add 1/16 sheet ply to the tray and mark it with a sharpie and ruler to see CG position. I also use a scorpion strap from a heli.That maybe were my 1 oz came from, but I`m ok with that.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Oh, it was a good tip...I also added a sheet of ply for a better battery tray..Not sure if Gyro and I are the only guys doing this? You can literally rip the tray out of one and become a lawn dart when the battery ejects...I add 1/16 sheet ply to the tray and mark it with a sharpie and ruler to see CG position. I also use a scorpion strap from a heli.That maybe were my 1 oz came from, but I`m ok with that.

I also use scorpion straps... Even to hold the rx batteries in my big gassers. They work well

Well, that was interesting. Finally flew the plane. Hard not to enjoy everything about this plane, it's a real kick in the.
The Power: it's like there's some control surfaces bolted to the back of a motrolfly.
This will never be a floaty plane, but the trade-off is immediate responsiveness. Like none I've ever flown. Perfect for any type of wind.

Please reply for more unbiased anecdotal evidence.