• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 89 slick

Av8r RC

50cc
Well, I've been flying harder and harder lately, especially my 51 slick. Sometimes it feels like I'm TOO comfortable and almost doink it. But I'm sure the shaking knees for the first handful of flights with this plane it will be pretty tame.

When buying multiples. It's a little cheaper from Troybuiltmodels and even cheaper with the 54's. Hmmm... decisions decisions....

wamsy55

50cc
Do not skimp on the servos.

Go with the 7955's so you can run on a nice simple HV setup and no regulation. That is the best way IMO. Better servos make for a better airplane.

You going to need good servos as the Da-60 turns the 89" into a beast.

A good throttle servo is the Hs5665. High speed and plenty of torque.

Well I picked up a used FB 89 today. And I need to start acquiring servos, a DA60, and a few other odds and ends before it can take flight.

After looking for some HS-7955TG's, I found some HS-7954SH's. To me it looks like the only difference between the two is the 54's have steel gears and weigh 3g more each, but they are also rated to accept 7.4V. Torque and speed are identical at 6V. Has anyone used these? Will the steel gear hold up as well or better than the titanium gears?

Also what would be a good choice for a throttle servo?

Thanks

The 7954s are basicly the same as the 7955s but rated for 7.4v and steel geared. Now we have them in 50, 85, and 100cc planes with no issues. I just put them in my 71 slick. The steel gears are holding up very well.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Joe recommends the Hitec 5665mh for throttle on 100cc's so that's what I went with.

I'm saving money for Futaba BLS175HV's in the spring...quite a bit more money, but brushless and programmable.

Av8r RC

50cc
Thanks for the advice guys. Got most everything ordered last night. Only thing I think I'm missing is a prop.

Went with the 7955's, 5665 for throttle, and the DA60. Hope to have it running by next weekend. Not much will get done with it this week, last week before time falls back 1hr. So I have to go out and fly after work everyday this week while I still can. I will post up some pics once it's done.

Av8r RC

50cc
Oh yeah... What prop do you all think I should get? I was thinking a 23x8 at least for the breakin. Any recommendations?

I was told that the da60 doesn't need a break in per say. Was told to set it up to factory specs and be easy on it for the first tank or so and then let her rip. Running a 24x10th mejzlik prop. Tuned to my liking after the 3rd tank and haven't touched it since. Its running perfect and has a bunch of power.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
Working on standoffs for an 89 Slick with a DA-60 for a customer

It looks like it will need 1.5" long standoffs. Can anyone confirm?

It also looks like there is something weird with washer fitting on the back of the firewall if nuts and bolts are used. Can anyone confirm?

Does the firewall have blind nuts already installed to fit the DA60 mounting pattern? if so, what size?

Does the DA60 come with any standoffs so custom standoffs aren't needed?

Thanks
Craig