• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

48" Edge 540 Building, Flying, and Questions

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary. I didn't make it very far tonight because I got home and looking thru the toolbox noticed I had zero CA. Lol. Grrrr. Lots of welders glue for the foamies but that doesn't wick into joints real well. Lol. So will have to hit up the LHS on Sunday morning and grab some. Curling tourney all day tomorrow so no building at all tomorrow. Grrr. Lol.

I did get all the little things cutout and ready for gluing and did the landing gear step. One thing I noticed is the piece of ply that you push in to hold the landing gear is kind of a tight fit and wouldn't go all the way down into the fuse. Sticks out a couple of mm. Going to leave it like that I think so I can pull it out easier if I ever need to. Any issue with doing it that way or shall I get out the 80 grit and sand it down so its a loose fit and use the screw technique?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Gary. I didn't make it very far tonight because I got home and looking thru the toolbox noticed I had zero CA. Lol. Grrrr. Lots of welders glue for the foamies but that doesn't wick into joints real well. Lol. So will have to hit up the LHS on Sunday morning and grab some. Curling tourney all day tomorrow so no building at all tomorrow. Grrr. Lol.

I did get all the little things cutout and ready for gluing and did the landing gear step. One thing I noticed is the piece of ply that you push in to hold the landing gear is kind of a tight fit and wouldn't go all the way down into the fuse. Sticks out a couple of mm. Going to leave it like that I think so I can pull it out easier if I ever need to. Any issue with doing it that way or shall I get out the 80 grit and sand it down so its a loose fit and use the screw technique?

When I build my 48 Edge (8-9 months ago now) I wasn't able to get the wedge to be perfectly flush either... and if building it today, I wouldn't worry much about that. I'd probably give some contemplation to using some of the alternative methods to installing the gear that allow for easy removal and replacement of the wire landing gear. If you glue or epoxy in that wedge, I think it's safe to say the wedge will not be coming out.

-G

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Yah I won't be using epoxy at all. It's wedged in there pretty good so I'm just going to use the screw method of holding it in. I don't think it'll fall out no matter what.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
So I'm looking at aileron servo install. The little tabs of wood with the string. I'm guessing I snap them off tie the servo wire to it and then just pull it thru?

Anyway I'm getting there on the build. Elevator servo installed, rudder pull pull installed on the rudder itself. Waiting on the longer servo arms to arrive from 3dhs before I tie any of it together. They should be here tomorrow. Quickly hooked up elevator servo just to see how close I was throw wise with the arm I have here and looks to be about 35 degrees. Longer arms should get me to the 45. Did not trim the horn as the manual showed you could do but now that I look at it is trimming that a better option to get the throw I need? Trying to keep the control rod closer for more torque.

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
So I'm looking at aileron servo install. The little tabs of wood with the string. I'm guessing I snap them off tie the servo wire to it and then just pull it thru?

Anyway I'm getting there on the build. Elevator servo installed, rudder pull pull installed on the rudder itself. Waiting on the longer servo arms to arrive from 3dhs before I tie any of it together. They should be here tomorrow. Quickly hooked up elevator servo just to see how close I was throw wise with the arm I have here and looks to be about 35 degrees. Longer arms should get me to the 45.
Yeah, that's what the wooden tabs are for. If you're using a DX6i, you'll need to use the long arms to get full throw. On a DX8, you won't have to.

I just ordered an Omega 130 and an CC ICE 50 to get mine flying again. :D

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Thanks quad. Servos all installed. Just need to wait on the arms to get here. Only using a dx6i at the moment hoping Santa brings a dx7 or 8. Lol. Few things left on the build. Mount motor and cowl and put all linkages on the servos.

Left off the wheel pants for now but will be putting them on after I get a couple of landings under my belt. Lol. No sense breaking them off on the first flight. Hahaha.

Aerosi

30cc
Left off the wheel pants for now but will be putting them on after I get a couple of landings under my belt. Lol. No sense breaking them off on the first flight. Hahaha.

Good call on that...mine only has 12 landings, and I'm already seeing evidence of my landing skills. I also left off the leg fairings as well...figured I'd put them on later on once I'm used to it. Kinda glad I did too because that wire gear definitely gives :rolleyes:

You guys will get there just give it time. Landing is a maneuver in itself as Ben has explained. It just takes practice. Also another tip try to remember to switch to low rates when you land. That is one of my biggest mistakes forgetting to switch my rates and landing on high rates. I am glad you are enjoying the plane.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
It is done. :D it has not been flown yet but it's built. Got all the esc issues sorted out got the cowl mounted. Gave it a few taxi runs up and down the street out front. Just need to balance it and fly it. Probably wont happen until Sunday though. Travelling the next couple of days and not sure if there is room to put it in the car. Lol. I really want to get it in the air. I,ll work on the build log over the next couple of days and get it posted when we get home. :)

quadracer

100cc
I have the elevator servo (HS65MG) installed, went with an HS82MG for the rudder. I put HS65HB servos in the wings, but I forgot to pick up some 6" extensions last time at the LHS. So, those will wait until Friday, when my Omega 130 and CC Ice 50 are due to arrive. Can't wait to get this thing in the air again! :D