• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50% Dalotel 165

That is really cool Roger. Never seen them on an R/C before. Will you get that thing done already? I am as excited to see it fly as one of my own. :banana-dance:
I am also but I need to get Junior flying first for practicing maneuvers, but its getting there , this is not a fast project, just building a full size airplane. When I built the full size Se5, it took 5 years , lets hope this will be faster LOL

Can you explain the purpose of the boost tab to me?
Good question,
Boost tabs adds a lot of power to the control surface that otherwise you would need multiple powerful servos, which also would mean bigger batteries etc, etc. you get the pictures
There is a reason why we have power steering in our cars today, otherwise you would need a lot of gyms with weight training.

This way, with boost tabs, you need only one servo per surface, no matching,

On the Dalotel Junior (100" wingspan) I am using one servo per control surface, and just a regular servo for the rudder, plus an 1100 ma servo battery, since the servos are not working hard .

If it can help to understand the power of boost tabs which in principle are like trim tabs, go up in a Cesna 172, or similar, and while flying straight and level, put full up trim, see how much power you will need to hold straight and level....

Will this work with 3D I don't know since I don't fly 3D but at slow speed you don't need much servo power since not much air is going over the surface,

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Adding to Roger's comments....in full scale boost, or servo tabs assist the movement of the surface against the slipstream. The higher the airspeed, the more effective they are.

They reduce the stick or pedal (rudder) loads felt by the pilot in a mechanical flight control system, by using the slipstream to help deflect the larger surface into it. They've been used for many years on a lot of airplanes, but of course in RC the very powerful servos and abilities to gang them on a surface negates their benefit. But as Roger points out, one can reduce the number of servos and power requirements if they are used, and of course properly sized.

Spades, or shovels most commonly seen on aerobatic planes' ailerons do the same thing, although by a different design. They too, lighten stick loads by using the slipstream to help move the larger surface.

Oh....BTW @cbarnes0061 .....you meant "Cuervo"....not swervo, correct? :cheers:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Adding to Roger's comments....in full scale boost, or servo tabs assist the movement of the surface against the slipstream. The higher the airspeed, the more effective they are.

They reduce the stick or pedal (rudder) loads felt by the pilot in a mechanical flight control system, by using the slipstream to help deflect the larger surface into it. They've been used for many years on a lot of airplanes, but of course in RC the very powerful servos and abilities to gang them on a surface negates their benefit. But as Roger points out, one can reduce the number of servos and power requirements if they are used, and of course properly sized.

Spades, or shovels most commonly seen on aerobatic planes' ailerons do the same thing, although by a different design. They too, lighten stick loads by using the slipstream to help move the larger surface.

Oh....BTW @cbarnes0061 .....you meant "Cuervo"....not swervo, correct? :cheers:
Yes, yes. Cuervo. As in Ho'say!:banana-dance:I'll take a bottle...please.