• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" 3DHS Extra 330 Build Log

quadracer

100cc
Not sure if this is a "build thread" or not, so feel free to move this post to its own spot, Gyro.

Got the 72 build underway. I have had about two hours to mess with it so far, so my progress is quite slow. Holes cut into the fuse, elevator and rudder horn slots cut and dry-fitted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350704152.838547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350704176.834523.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350704188.585059.jpg

My 57, or "little brother" to this plane;
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350704225.018476.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Not sure if this is a "build thread" or not, so feel free to move this post to its own spot, Gyro.

Got the 72 build underway. I have had about two hours to mess with it so far, so my progress is quite slow. Holes cut into the fuse, elevator and rudder horn slots cut and dry-fitted.

View attachment 2542
View attachment 2543
View attachment 2544

My 57, or "little brother" to this plane;
View attachment 2545

Moved to a build log thread. Thanks for documenting your build here!

-G

quadracer

100cc
Got all the Rx and servo linkages set up today, and mounted the engine.
View attachment 2638
It took a while to make sure everything is free of binding and is set up where minimal trimming is needed. Set all subtrims and trims to zero, and get all linkages as close to mechanically perfect as you can, then use trim/subtrim to dial it in. I sometimes fly it, get subtrim dialed in, then go back and readjust the links to get the last little bit of trim out of it.

One thing I would like to make note of, when fitting the horns into the control surfaces, make sure you dry fit them before gluing them up. A few of mine had excess glue in the slots from building the frame, and I had to clean them out with a hobby knife. If I would have tried to do it without dry fitting first, I would have been in trouble, because the horn wouldn't have fit down into the slots, as seen here;
View attachment 2636

I also figured something out that makes things a little easier when dialing in the aileron linkages; instead of sliding the wings completely into place, leave them a few inches apart from the fuselage, so you can rotate them upside down. This way, you don't have to try to reach under them to make linkage adjustments. The rudder and elevator linkages are easily tweaked by standing the plane on its nose, then everything is at a comfortable working height. Just be careful not to knock it over!
View attachment 2637

Two of my engine bolts were bent when my Slick met its death, so I have to hit the hardware store tomorrow before I can have the engine "complete."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350870732.935800.jpg

The fuel line fitting was also broken off, so I swapped carbs with an engine I got from someone for parts/spare. The spare was from a rear-carb DLE, but hopefully it will all work the same. The rear carb DLE has a reed block between the carb and crank case, the side carb version does not. I left the reed block out, so it *should* be the same. I guess tomorrow I'll mount the tank and route the fuel lines, and maybe get this bad boy fired up.

Is anyone else running this plane on gas? If so, have you cut any vent holes in the belly, and where did you cut them at? It comes with the "vented" cover for the tunnel, but I'm not sure if I need to use that or not.

SnowDog

subscribed....looking good. Links to attachments did not work. Gary, did moving the thread to the build log area cause the links to be broken?

SteveT.

100cc
I am pretty sure you need the reed block on the rear engine version (believe it or not, reeds act like valves on a two stroke engine)......and... you need 3 times the intake area for exhaust area for heat release...so, yes, I would use the vented bottom pieces....

SteveT

quadracer

100cc
Ooops...sorry, late at night, and got it backwards.....

SteveT

Hell, I'm the same way, except mornings are my bane. :D

I ordered a few goodies last night from Troy Built Models and RC Aircraft Components;
From RC Components, an Opto-kill (mine was destroyed in le crash), a Xoar 20x6 wood prop, and a Vess 20A prop.

From TBM, a 3" carbon spinner (good god, cf is soooo sexy..), a Miracle RC switch/fuel dot combo that comes built into one snazzy anodized aluminum housing, and 3 aluminum 1.5" servo arms for the ailerons and throttle.

The throttle servo mounting hole is mounted very low (seems to me anyway) on the motorbox, so I'll either have to use a longer arm or bend my linkage at about 45° to get everything to clear. The thought of having a throttle linkage bent like that doesn't bode we'll with me, so I'm going with the longer arm.