• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

Olie

50cc
I will finish mine eventually...

Today's holdup: Australia is seemingly out of electric wood 20x10 and 21x10 propellers.

The closest I have found is mejzlik CF propellers at $70 a pop plus postage.

Super lame.

njswede

150cc
Hey guys, in searching for a budget minded servo I came across the hitec 5665 and wondered how they would perform in this plane. They are on tower's website for $46.99.

A little weak. The only way it would possibly work is if you run them on unregulated 2s LiPos. I have Align DS610 (same as Savox 1258TG) in mine. A little bit more expensive, but much more powerful and ridiculously fast.

I'm sure the 5665s will work and the plane will fly OK, but keep in mind that the servos are what defines the "feeling" of the plane. Slow and/or weak servos will give your plane an inexact and "mushy" feeling.

gyro

GSN Contributor
A little weak. The only way it would possibly work is if you run them on unregulated 2s LiPos. I have Align DS610 (same as Savox 1258TG) in mine. A little bit more expensive, but much more powerful and ridiculously fast.

I'm sure the 5665s will work and the plane will fly OK, but keep in mind that the servos are what defines the "feeling" of the plane. Slow and/or weak servos will give your plane an inexact and "mushy" feeling.

You can find those Align DS610 on the RCG and Helifreak Classifieds for around $40 a piece. Many heli guys take them out unused and change to different servos = their loss, our gain!

-- On another note, I'm going to start fixing the 72" wings today/tomorrow, and hope to fly her again soon. I shouldn't have to do this to a brand new replacement wing, that I had to buy. :cursing:

-G

dskuro95

100cc
You have fix your replacement wing? Why?
You can find those Align DS610 on the RCG and Helifreak Classifieds for around $40 a piece. Many heli guys take them out unused and change to different servos = their loss, our gain!

-- On another note, I'm going to start fixing the 72" wings today/tomorrow, and hope to fly her again soon. I shouldn't have to do this to a brand new replacement wing, that I had to buy. :cursing:

-G

gyro

GSN Contributor
You have fix your replacement wing? Why?

Because it is 100% identical to the one that failed on the right, and the remaining one on the left. (see pics posted above)

So... in my mind, the right wing failed for no reason within my control, on the 18th flight of a new airplane, flying on the recommended DLE-30 engine.
Since I can tell zero difference between the wing that failed, the wing that remains (and is loose around the wing-tube socket) and the newly purchased wing, I will not feel comfortable flying this airplane without reinforcing the factory wing design.

Off to work I go...

dskuro95

100cc
Ok, makes sense, but is it a v2 wing?
Because it is 100% identical to the one that failed on the right, and the remaining one on the left. (see pics posted above)

So... in my mind, the right wing failed for no reason within my control, on the 18th flight of a new airplane, flying on the recommended DLE-30 engine.
Since I can tell zero difference between the wing that failed, the wing that remains (and is loose around the wing-tube socket) and the newly purchased wing, I will not feel comfortable flying this airplane without reinforcing the factory wing design.

Off to work I go...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok, makes sense, but is it a v2 wing?

I was told that by Noll that the wing I purchased from 3DHS was a "V2" wing. Again, V2, V3, V40, it is no different from the remaining wing on my airplane, and thus, the wing that failed in flight.

dskuro95

100cc
I hear ya. I am having this issue with an 87 wing right now
I was told that by Noll that the wing I purchased from 3DHS was a "V2" wing. Again, V2, V3, V40, it is no different from the remaining wing on my airplane, and thus, the wing that failed in flight.