• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

joshgluck

100cc
Easy: Snap the hinges with snips or something. Melt them out with an old soldering iron tip. Install new hinges.

:)

Great - you think I'll be able to get the hinges in without separating the joiner? Didn't look like I'd have enough room. Rudder is one thing, Skerrrred of the elevator.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great - you think I'll be able to get the hinges in without separating the joiner? Didn't look like I'd have enough room. Rudder is one thing, Skerrrred of the elevator.

ah... the joiner. forgot about that.... I honestly don't know. worst case, you shave away a little more of cutout for the joiner, and that'll give you the space to pull the elevators back far enough.

-G

wedoitall

I just did it on my 51" slick. its not hard main thing is take your time. A hot knife with a #11 blade is perfect to remove old hinges http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSD16&P=ML

I took some advice from Steve T. and drill a very small hole towards the end of the hinge slot. I did this to be able to squirt some CA in the slot easier, especially if the slot gets to alil bigger than a #11 blade.

I just did all 4 control surfaces on my slick and really like the way they turned out. Oh yea I used RadioSouth hinges, they are highly recommended. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZ43&P=ML

I was also skeer't to do it at first, but just like everything else, the first time you do something. Youll do just fine.

My elevator went from binding at 43 or so degrees, to being silky smooth with 60+ degrees of throw. Of course I sealed my hinge gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshgluck

100cc
Only issue is these are robarts not CA type hinges so its even more skeeeeery :)
Sell those 48's brotha and get some 7x/8x goodness, lol

I just did it on my 51" slick. its not hard main thing is take your time. A hot knife with a #11 blade is perfect to remove old hinges http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSD16&P=ML

I took some advice from Steve T. and drill a very small hole towards the end of the hinge slot. I did this to be able to squirt some CA in the slot easier, especially if the slot gets to alil bigger than a #11 blade.

I just did all 4 control surfaces on my slick and really like the way they turned out. Oh yea I used RadioSouth hinges, they are highly recommended. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZ43&P=ML

I was also skeer't to do it at first, but just like everything else, the first time you do something. Youll do just fine.

My elevator went from binding at 43 or so degrees, to being silky smooth with 60+ degrees of throw. Of course I sealed my hinge gaps.

wedoitall

I almost went with the robarts hinges instead. they looked a lot easier to setup, but I don't know about removing that is kinda skeeery.

I would have already got a big plane, but where I fly its pretty tight. I joined a club, the closest one to me, its a hour drive. I would care about that part but because of work I only get there about once a month, if im lucky. They say I fly a lot, and I just cant justify a $2000+ plane that I only get to fly 1 day out of the month. Im hope'n by fall ill have a farm really close to the house I can fly at. I would love a big plane. I have a buddy, Mike that flys a lot with me, I think he wants me to get a big plane more than I want it. LOL, everytime we go to the club he says at least 4 or 5 times before we leave, "Man I would love to see you fly one of those". Talking about a couple of the guys 50-100cc 3d planes that they fly like sport planes.

wedoitall

heres the runway at my flying spot. IMG_20130623_191331.jpgIMG_20130623_191529.jpgIMG_20130623_191542.jpg

I haven't even had the nads to fly my 64" MXS there yet, almost took her with me today but changed my mind. Since I have a backup frame for her now, ill prolly get brave sometime this week.

SnowDog

She is reborn!

View attachment 9623View attachment 9624View attachment 9625

Motrolfly 4330-380kv
ZTW LP series 120HV Opto ESC
Xoar 20x10
Four Align DS-610 Servos (Savox SC-1258TG)
Spektrum AR8000/TM1000

and of course, a little "True Red" ultracote instead of the dark orange.

Gary you did an awesome job updating that scheme...really love that red!

heres the runway at my flying spot.
View attachment 9630View attachment 9631View attachment 9632

I haven't even had the nads to fly my 64" MXS there yet, almost took her with me today but changed my mind. Since I have a backup frame for her now, ill prolly get brave sometime this week.

Wow...that is small; I'm not sure I'd have the guts to fly anything on that slab of concrete!!!

wedoitall

ha yea my buddy says its like a RC aircraft carrier. I flew the big MXS on it this evening. went ahead and harrier landed all 4 landings. So now I can get more flights on her. was only flying about 2 days out of the month on the 60 MXS.

oh the slick is freakin awesome!!!!! crankshafts are ridiculous