• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

I flew mine today flew pretty good floats like no other plane I have I did notice when I tried to hover it want to go to the left not rotate but pull to left had to use a lot of rudder to try to hold it but had a hard time with and could not get to stay in a hover

when I would go vertical I did not notice it pulling to left Im using to motrofly 4330-400 KV on 6s CG is neutral also in knife edge flight it does not need much if any coupling

gyro

GSN Contributor
I flew mine today flew pretty good floats like no other plane I have I did notice when I tried to hover it want to go to the left not rotate but pull to left had to use a lot of rudder to try to hold it but had a hard time with and could not get to stay in a hover

when I would go vertical I did not notice it pulling to left Im using to motrofly 4330-400 KV on 6s CG is neutral also in knife edge flight it does not need much if any coupling

I remember Ben saying in a podcast that the motorbox angle is a compromise... It doesn't for everyone's taste. Best solution is to put In some rudder to throttle mixing or add a few washers on the firewall.

I remember Ben saying in a podcast that the motorbox angle is a compromise... It doesn't for everyone's taste. Best solution is to put In some rudder to throttle mixing or add a few washers on the firewall.

do I need to add just some right thrust or should I add so down thrust as well

I just pulled the trigger on the silver scheme and now need to figure out the power system.if I go electric I plan on motrolfly on 6c but would love to make it a gasser. If I go gas it will be my first gas plane and not to sure on the setup with batteries and shut off systems etc and at the moment am using a dx6i transmitter that I'm not sure will be ok for a gasser.are gass planes as hard to tune as my nitro truck was because if it is forget it I'm going electric lol. Sorry for all the questions but I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just pulled the trigger on the silver scheme and now need to figure out the power system.if I go electric I plan on motrolfly on 6c but would love to make it a gasser. If I go gas it will be my first gas plane and not to sure on the setup with batteries and shut off systems etc and at the moment am using a dx6i transmitter that I'm not sure will be ok for a gasser.are gass planes as hard to tune as my nitro truck was because if it is forget it I'm going electric lol. Sorry for all the questions but I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Ok... so yes, maybe, and no! :D

First, congrats on the purchase.

Yes: The motrolfly 4330 on 6s is an awesome power option for this airplane. See here:
[video=youtube_share;6ljy8L563qw]http://youtu.be/6ljy8L563qw[/video]

Maybe: the DX6i will function ok, but it's neither the best transmitter for 3d. IMHO, you need at least 6 channels exactly with this airplane, although some have flown with "Y" cabled ailerons:
1- Throttle
2- L Aileron
3- R Aileron
4- Rudder
5- Eleavator
6- Opto Kill

The problem on a gasser, or even an electric, is where you "input" your power. With all the available channels used up, you won't be able to get the recommended minimum of two JR power plugs into the receiver bus easily. Now, you could use extra "Y" cables to get the power in, but you end up making a complicated mess.

With the prices on used Dx8 radios right now, it may be a great time to make the jump and get an AR8000 (what I've got in my 3dhs 72" Extra), as you'll also gain some servo travel. But that is another conversation...

No: a gasser is NOT as hard to tune as a nitro... BUT, if buying a new engine, you'll need to break it in, and possibly check for quality from the factory (see here: http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...ed-Valve-Bowman-Ring-Single-Post-prop-adapter)

However, your setup will likely be more complicated as a gasser than an electric, but it will fly longer, and possibly be less expensive if you don't have batteries already.

I just finished mine about three weeks ago went back and forth on gas or electric. I ended up going electric motrofly 4330 400kv on 6s this has better vertical performance then my pilot rc yak 26% with a 35cc on it. Im glad I went electric but I think I may put this 4330 in my Velox and get a 4330 wound for 8s for the Edge as this plane will need nose weight. Im running a 2s lipo for servos and have it up in the front of the plane and it still a little tail heavy with gens ace 6s 5300 all the way FWD @ 760g. I think with two 4s 4000 will be 860g Im not sure if you would get more power out of the 8s or not. On the motrofly web page it says 2700 watts on 6s and 8s. I was getting 2300 watts on 6s

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just finished mine about three weeks ago went back and forth on gas or electric. I ended up going electric motrofly 4330 400kv on 6s this has better vertical performance then my pilot rc yak 26% with a 35cc on it. Im glad I went electric but I think I may put this 4330 in my Velox and get a 4330 wound for 8s for the Edge as this plane will need nose weight. Im running a 2s lipo for servos and have it up in the front of the plane and it still a little tail heavy with gens ace 6s 5300 all the way FWD @ 760g. I think with two 4s 4000 will be 860g Im not sure if you would get more power out of the 8s or not. On the motrofly web page it says 2700 watts on 6s and 8s. I was getting 2300 watts on 6s

You didn't mention what prop you were using? The wattage varies from prop-to-prop as well as battery to battery.
I am running a 4325 on my Velox, getting a peak of 2600w on 18x10 at the beginning of the flight.

Personally, while the 6s 5000 setup on the Edge is nice (as Brian showed above) I think 8s is better (I had 8s on my first 74" Edge and liked it better).

Thanks guys . I thought going 6c for weight savings and would be a bit cheaper but now I don't know what I want to put in it. And it starts all over again lol. I had a hard time picking scheme had a hard time with power and now battery . I feel better now about electric after hearing that maiden thanks and Gyro this is all your fault after helping me get my 51" slick fly so much better with the motrolfly motor I had to move up to the 74".just messing thanks for that it was night and day from the power 32