• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

78'' Extra

Of course i vill share, its not that hard.

I started with making a plywood template, shaped as the landingear.
Used that to cut a foam block, than you have to cut it so it vill be 30mm at the top (where i mounts to the fuselage) and like 15mm at bottom.
View attachment 18973
Hold on, more to come, just have to do some other stuff in between.

Thats awesome....cant wait to see more of the process!

Yak55

New to GSN!
Thanks, for all the nice comments. New thread....na, the story is to short for that:)

Next step is to make some sides to the "mould", made them also out of Styrofoam, and this is only to make sure that the carbon piece stays in place, and to serve as a height guide.
The bottom of the mould, is then covered with regular packing tape, in this case clear tape.
The tape is waxed (wax without silicon) for easy release, the sides are glued on and the mould is ready for layup.
20131010_003612[1].jpg

Next is to cut all the unicarbon pieces, I used 180gr/sqm, just because i had it at home.
I had no idea how many pieces i needed, so i just made a qualified guess of 15;), and it turned out to be perfect.
20131022_193746[1].jpg

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but it was just suppose to be a test.
Then i wet out the unicarbon with laminating epoxy using a small roller, and pressed the carbon with some paper towels, to dry it out a bit.
Stack all the carbon pieces on top of each other into the groove of the mold, placed a peace of mylar on top of it, and put it in the vacuum bag over the night.
20131024_231201[1].jpg

Now it look likes the aluminum landing gear, but it has just a fraction of torsion strength of the aluminum gear, and it will with ease splinter, if you bend it to much.
Rounded all the edges, and filed a airfoil shape, to make it nice.
Than i sprayed a peace of woven carbon cloth, cut on a bias, with 3m 77, and wind it around the landing gear 3 turns, that is what holds the carbon threads together, and gives it the torsion strength, wetted out the carbon, and placed it in the vacuum bag again.
A little sidenote, twill weave will be easier to wrap around the landing gear, as it conforms better to curves and stuff, but i did not have that at home so...
When it was dry, lightly sand the surfaces, and appy a light cote of epoxy, just to fill some small voids, wait till dry, wet sand again, until i was satisfied.
For a last glossy finish, i applied a layer of 2k clear cote, with a really crappy spray gun:)
And voala, a carbon landing gear has been born:ecstatic:
20131106_223311[1].jpg

Hope you can read it, my English is not that great....hmm, should have payed more attention at school.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

That looks great...I'm sure there are some people like me that might want to try this at some point...where do you get the supplies? Do you have a list of items that one would need to get started?

Anybody fly there 78 lately?.....kinda quite in here......

I've been flying the wings off of mine. California is having some unreal weather. Sunny, 65 degrees....perfect for flying. I think I have about 3 gallons thru my VVRC 40cc. Today I didn't fly with the SFG.....the plane flies well with or without them. Welp, I have to continue the build on my EF Extra 300 91"

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Jealous, would love a 91 or 104. Trying to get a hand me down from Cody or GHoffman (where I got my 78) Proven winner setups.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Jealous, would love a 91 or 104. Trying to get a hand me down from Cody (104) or GHoffman (91) (where I got my 78) Proven winner setups.

If I had them I wouldn't give them up. Just pipe dreaming.

i'm doing a build thread....it's taking much longer than I thought it wood. I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll have the DA 70 installed:flyer: