• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

91" Extra 300-EXP ARF

Hi, happy new year to everybody!

a friend of mine has 2270 HV in his 91 EA, his servos got a lot of slop after approx 20 flights, there are some few other guys on german forums complaining about slop of 2270 servos

I planned to use them too, but I'll go with savöx 1283 now

Hi All,

I got really lucky the other day when the 91's were briefly in stock. Got my shipping confirmation yesterday. :grrreat:

I have done a lot of research on the best way outfit the airframe for our flying field.
We have some sensitive Horsie people as neighbours. Noise is an issue that automatically ruled out the DA-70 on mufflers and there doesnt look to be enough room for a pair of cans.

Had a nice long chat with Dave Sullivan (Planebender) and ordered a GP-61 and a Smooth Pipe.
Blazing Star mount
Found an MTW header that was made for the GP-61. (Thunderbolt RC up here in Canada)
Falcon 24X10 carbon prop
An AR9110 with an extra satellite receiver is on the way
Hitec 5565MH on the throttle
100 strand heavy duty extensions. 20 AWG for the elevators and 22 for all others
Going with the recommender SWB servo arms and some blingy secraft adjusters for the pull pull

And here is the plan that isn't set in stone...
Savox 1270TG's for all surfaces
Tech Aero IBEC for the ignition
True Turn ultimate style spinner
32 oz 4titude tank
Fromeco Relions if they need to be in the motor box (CG) or Lipo's if they can be in the fuse.
Maybe a Vess balance ring.

The thing that has me most confused is the brushless vs coreless servo question. Is it worth an extra $25 per servo to get the efficiency of the brushless 2270's?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggity

70cc twin V2
Hi, happy new year to everybody!

a friend of mine has 2270 HV in his 91 EA, his servos got a lot of slop after approx 20 flights, there are some few other guys on german forums complaining about slop of 2270 servos

I planned to use them too, but I'll go with savöx 1283 now

I've been using the 2270s on my 104 Slick for well over 150 flights and have been flawless. Don't let 2 guys change your opinion. I'm also running the new 1270tg's on the 104 Extra, which I'm very impressed with. Only about 15 flights on them

actually, I already have 5x Savöx 2270 hv sitting on the bench, the guy I mentioned above and me, we bought our planes together and we bought our 2270 servos at the same time as well, but he was faster than me and built and maidened his plane within one week, thus he managed to get some stick time on his 91" this year before it got too cold
he is running his 2270 directly on a 2s pack and after 20 flights he complained about a considerable amount of slop, these new savox sevos in his 91 Extra got more slop after 20 flights than the old futabas in his 88" Edge after 400 flights (if memory serves me right his 88 edge has about 430 flights)

I've been using the 2270s on my 104 Slick for well over 150 flights and have been flawless. Don't let 2 guys change your opinion. I'm also running the new 1270tg's on the 104 Extra, which I'm very impressed with. Only about 15 flights on them

Diggity

70cc twin V2
actually, I already have 5x Savöx 2270 hv sitting on the bench, the guy I mentioned above and me, we bought our planes together and we bought our 2270 servos at the same time as well, but he was faster than me and built and maidened his plane within one week, thus he managed to get some stick time on his 91" this year before it got too cold
he is running his 2270 directly on a 2s pack and after 20 flights he complained about a considerable amount of slop, these new savox sevos in his 91 Extra got more slop after 20 flights than the old futabas in his 88" Edge after 400 flights (if memory serves me right his 88 edge has about 430 flights)

Bummer! I wouldn't hesitate to put the 2270's on.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Put two more flights on the Extra today, I'm liking it more and more. The DA-60 w/ MTW pipe seems to be plenty of power even know the engine only has about 30 minutes run time.

010.jpg

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Got one of these bad boys on the way. Going electric since my field 5 mins from my house caused havoc with the ignitions on Gas motors. There are two towers have always been an issue on the old FM radios, long servo runs, ignitions, and some gyros. Not to mention I don't want the dog walkers complaining.

Setup:
Motrolfly 5335-189
Castle Ice 160HV
Powersafe AR9110
MKS HV777 servos x 5
Spot On V2 2" elevator arms 1.75 aileron arms
SWB 4" offset for rudder
6s 5300 Gens x2
2000mah rx packs x2
Craig's Custom standoffs 3.013"
Prop: unknown

I will be testing a Xoar 25x10 PJN and a Mejzlik 24x10TH and I will go from there. I will also be testing a 24x12PJN, 24x10PJN at some point.

I am excited about this one and I had to jump through the hoops to get it up to Alaska. UPS wanted $575, so I shipped it to Seattle and going through my buddy's freight forwarder to get it to his business from there. Saving me a bunch of money... $200 vs $575. Now I could fly it like I want to now that I know I could get a replacement for a reasonable price.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got one of these bad boys on the way. Going electric since my field 5 mins from my house caused havoc with the ignitions on Gas motors. There are two towers have always been an issue on the old FM radios, long servo runs, ignitions, and some gyros. Not to mention I don't want the dog walkers complaining.

Setup:
Motrolfly 5335-189
Castle Ice 160HV
Powersafe AR9110
MKS HV777 servos x 5
Spot On V2 2" elevator arms 1.75 aileron arms
SWB 4" offset for rudder
6s 5300 Gens x2
2000mah rx packs x2
Craig's Custom standoffs 3.013"
Prop: unknown

I will be testing a Xoar 25x10 PJN and a Mejzlik 24x10TH and I will go from there. I will also be testing a 24x12PJN, 24x10PJN at some point.

I am excited about this one and I had to jump through the hoops to get it up to Alaska. UPS wanted $575, so I shipped it to Seattle and going through my buddy's freight forwarder to get it to his business from there. Saving me a bunch of money... $200 vs $575. Now I could fly it like I want to now that I know I could get a replacement for a reasonable price.

Freakin awesome Bryan!

I hope to crank up my 5335 in a few more days, I can't wait. Not sure if you bought all your props already, but hopefully some of my data will help you decide.

Can't wait to follow your build and flying of the big extra.