• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

advantage of composite RC plane?

mazjag

50cc
Guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the huge advantage of a composite RC plane?? I saw that the moose said that the airfame doesn`t wear out as quick...and I get that...and its lighter...I get that.. I just don`t see how a "72 inch plane can cost 2500.00? you can buy a car for that? I like pattern planes as of late , but I don`t see how they get that for them? what am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:

mazjag

50cc
I didn`t get a reply and thats ok...It was a honest question..I also didn`t get a bunch of cute comments or snide remarks.. I.I guess thats what I`m used to on RC forums at this point..I`ll look into it more and post back.thanks for looking...J

gyro

GSN Contributor
I didn`t get a reply and thats ok...It was a honest question..I also didn`t get a bunch of cute comments or snide remarks.. I.I guess thats what I`m used to on RC forums at this point..I`ll look into it more and post back.thanks for looking...J

I wouldn't count your lack of replies after only a day or so as a bad thing! We're still a growing forum, and the best qualified person to answer this question may not have read it yet :)
Hang in there!

njswede

150cc
One advantage is that composites are "dead" materials, i.e. they're not affected by temperature and humidity the way a wood-based plane is. No matter how well you build a balsa plane, weather is going to change it. Just look at the covering of your planes and the way it wrinkles as the weather changes.

If you're flying pattern and you're dependent on a plane that tracks perfectly straight, it may be worth paying the extra bucks to get a plane that you set up once and you know it's going to stay that way. For a hack like me, it would be a horrible waste of money.

Just my $0.02

SnowDog

another advantage to composite planes is that you get bragging rights for spending more on your plane than anybody else at the field...?
:facepalm:

I can't see myself ever spending that kind of money on a plane.

hone

150cc
Composite should have less flex in the control surfaces as well making for "crispier" response.

Rick dazzler

70cc twin V2
I own and fly both Wood and compy...

Composite excells in IMAC and razor sharp lines in the air.. PLUS no covering to maintain and the airframe will last a decade or more unless crashed..

Wood arf's excell in Slow HI-alpha 3d maneuvers as the weight is lower especially on the wings.. Wood arfs can be easier to repair unless your good with laying glass and paint work.. Wood arfs will not last as long and stay as nice condisition as a composite over time..
What do I fly the most.?? MY WOODY's! I love the way they 3D.. However It is gratifying to me to fly precision on a string aerobatics with my compy and I can still get in hi-alpha with it for good slow 3D just happens a little faster