• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 26% 74" Slick540 Build, Maiden Log!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Successful maiden :) I only got one flight cuz a wheel fell off. I should have checked them closer ;). I got the missing number replaced so she is rdy for round two.

A few notes:

Trimming was easy... no aileron trim needed.

Roll rate was slower than I was used to. Ill see about getting more throw on the aileron. It is still nice though and in no way a big problem.

The plane tracks really well and lands easy. It was very predictable. I think it is going to be more precise than the 3dhs slick but is not going to tumble quite as well.

Due to my idle being set too low I did not really try much harrier. I will play around with that tomorrow.

Significant knife edge coupling toward the canopy when applying left rudder but easily mixable. There was some roll coupling when flying right to left (right rudder). I will mix these tendencies out tomorrow.

Overall I find it to be confidence inspiring and easy to fly with no really bad tendencies. It presents really nicely on the ground and in the air. I'm pretty happy so far :D

Sounds like you had fun. Where was your CG? I didn't notice much coupling.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am not sure exactly where my CG is... I did put some strings around the wing tube and dangled the plane from them. The plane tilted forward about 10 degrees. It is a pretty forward CG. I could move the flight battery back. I have not decided what I'm going to do yet. I may leave it alone for better precision flying (once I mix the coupling out)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am not sure exactly where my CG is... I did put some strings around the wing tube and dangled the plane from them. The plane tilted forward about 10 degrees. It is a pretty forward CG. I could move the flight battery back. I have not decided what I'm going to do yet. I may leave it alone for better precision flying (once I mix the coupling out)

Cool, let us know how it goes as you play with the different options and get more flights under your belt.

3dNater

As much as it makes me feel a tad embarrassed I have to come clean about something...

I used the same model memory on this slick that I was using on the yak. The hard pull to the canopy in KE was from a mix I had on the yak. I cleared it out and the elevator coupling was very minor. I ended up putting in a 4% mix for hands off KE. The aileron coupling induced by right rudder still had to be mixed out but it was pretty minor. After the mixing was done I was doing high alpha knife edge passes a foot high. I can already tell it is a knife edge monster!

The plane flies really great. It feels really locked in and harriers with no wing rock. I had my wife take a little video. Ill post it up when it gets done cooking.

3dNater

Thanks guys. I gotta get some video of the nice stable high alpha knife edge. I tried that a few times toward the end of the flight after the recording cut off.