• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aeroplus 111" Edge 540 V3 assembly

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It came in at 9 pounds 3 oz I had to put a chock servo in and I believe that just put over the 9 lbs. when I get chance later this year I will take another look to see if I can eliminate the choke servo but for now it going stay as it is.

Pancake

50cc
Man I want to fly this thing! Stupid snow!

Attachments

• 20170226_025605.jpg
    20170226_025605.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 665

Pancake

50cc
To get my CG at the recommended starting point I ended up moving the flight batteries as far forward as possible, installed an 8oz. White rose prop washer, and filled the tank just to get close to the "6-1/6" inches from the LE. With no nose weight and the recommended battery placement it was closer to 7-1/2"

I really like these MileHighRC.com /Kuza wing bags! Light weight, heavy duty nylon, padded wing pockets, wing tube sleeve, plenty of room for 111" wings, complete with 2 large stab pockets that will each hold an entire horizontal stabilizer.

Attachments

• 20170227_151046.jpg
    20170227_151046.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 514

Rusty 73

100cc
I'm going to ues a Whiterose nose weight for balancing my CG . I guess even using a three bladed prop puts alot more load on the bearings but that
nose weight will increase load . I guess if the bearings are feeling rough i'll send back to DA for new bearings

With my 3DHS 87" extra i had to use a nose weight to get a proper CG , is still have 2&1/2 oz of lead on the firewall along with the 6.3 oz nose weight .:rolleyes:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One or 2 oz, is ok but we talking 8 oz that's 1/2 lb that is a lot of weight. Trust me that disc spinning at 8000 rpm and then you try to change direction will just about pull your arm off. Also you loss a lot horsepower doing that. Do the math see how much hp you trying to spin 1/2 pound from 1000 rpm to 8000 rpm in less than second you will be surprised.

Rusty 73

100cc
I do agree with math .
I just might go and buy about four to five strips of lead weight and add it the nose of my new Extra .
I'm thinking if it 6.3 oz at the crankshaft then it will be a least eight or more ounces at the front of the firewall to get the same leverage as the nose weight .

Pancake

50cc
Despite some very gusty conditions we managed to maiden the Edge today! A bunch of flying buddies decended on Chatfield. It was great seeing so many familiar faces!

Getting the BE 124 running was a bit of a saga. I had already made sure the carb was primed with fuel before I even left for the field. Once there I immediately discovered made sure the tank was sealed properly. After flipping the motor with the choke on about 50 times it popped once and quit. Choke off, repeat. Took the cowl off and went over all electrical and fuel connections. Choke off, pop and quit. Repeat about 20 times. After backing the low needle out from 1.5 to about 2.5-3 turns it finally stayed lit. I fattened up the high from 1.5 to about 2.25 turns and ran it through a full tank with variable throttle settings before trying to tune it. After another half tank and a lot of starting and stopping we ended up closer to 3 turns out on the low for a decent transition. Cowl back on, and another 10 minutes of tweaking, fattening the bottom needle and leaning the top end some more we got it to the point we thought it was good to fly.

First flight, it popped off the ground no problems. Elevator was sensitive even on low rates and factory recommended CG. Two clicks of down and two clicks of right Aileron and it was tracking straight. As soon as it was airborne the engine started burbling like crazy. I kept it high and did some basic trimming. Inverted 45 pulled to the canopy pretty quick. Knife edge had very little coupling but barely pulled to the canopy. Changing the attitude of the airplane changed the way the engine ran. After 5 minutes I landed and went over everything and charged the batteries. To my surprise the batteries were almost depleted! Just from tuning and one 5 minute flight it burned 2700mah!
I moved my freshly charged batteries back to the stock location. Taxiing out in a heavy crosswind the tailwheel split and fell off the hub. I took it up for another 8 minutes. Inverted 45 was almost straight with a slight fall off to the nose. I flipped high rates and holy cow! This thing is responsive! I did a wall and the plane rotated 135 degrees! That's from upright flat and level to inverted 45 in an instant. Then, for fun I hit full down and full throttle and it did a crazy blow over. After a few more laps I brought it in for a landing.

This flight burned 600mah! My buddies said they could hear some binding, so I'm going to go back through my servos and make sure they are all still matched properly.

Engine is still running rough in the air, so I'm going to try to cover the bottom inlet in the cowl with some screen to diffuse the air. Hopefully it will dampen the effect of the air hitting the vent on the carb.

Whew! Lots of words! It was great seeing so many flying buddies today. Two successful maidens. Good day

Attachments

• 20170304_115811.jpg
    20170304_115811.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 403
  • 20170304_121201.jpg
    20170304_121201.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 20170304_121154.jpg
    20170304_121154.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Despite some very gusty conditions we managed to maiden the Edge today! A bunch of flying buddies decended on Chatfield. It was great seeing so many familiar faces!

Getting the BE 124 running was a bit of a saga. I had already made sure the carb was primed with fuel before I even left for the field. Once there I immediately discovered the vent and fill fittings on the Ideal Plus tank were not sealing properly. After fussing with the fittings through the front of the tank for a while I got them tight enough to feel good about. After flipping the motor with the choke on about 50 times it popped once and quit. Choke off, repeat. Took the cowl off and went over all electrical and fuel connections. Choke off, pop and quit. Repeat about 20 times. After backing the low needle out from 1.5 to about 2.5-3 turns it finally stayed lit. I fattened up the high from 1.5 to about 2.25 turns and ran it through a full tank with variable throttle settings before trying to tune it. After another half tank and a lot of starting and stopping we ended up closer to 3 turns out on the low for a decent transition. Cowl back on, and another 10 minutes of tweaking, fattening the bottom needle and leaning the top end some more we got it to the point we thought it was good to fly.

First flight, it popped off the ground no problems. Elevator was sensitive even on low rates and factory recommended CG. Two clicks of down and two clicks of right Aileron and it was tracking straight. As soon as it was airborne the engine started burbling like crazy. I kept it high and did some basic trimming. Inverted 45 pulled to the canopy pretty quick. Knife edge had very little coupling but barely pulled to the canopy. Changing the attitude of the airplane changed the way the engine ran. After 5 minutes I landed and went over everything and charged the batteries. To my surprise the batteries were almost depleted! Just from tuning and one 5 minute flight it burned 2700mah!
I moved my freshly charged batteries back to the stock location. Taxiing out in a heavy crosswind the tailwheel split and fell off the hub. I took it up for another 8 minutes. Inverted 45 was almost straight with a slight fall off to the nose. I flipped high rates and holy cow! This thing is responsive! I did a wall and the plane rotated 135 degrees! That's from upright flat and level to inverted 45 in an instant. Then, for fun I hit full down and full throttle and it did a crazy blow over. After a few more laps I brought it in for a landing.

This flight burned 600mah! My buddies said they could hear some binding, so I'm going to go back through my servos and make sure they are all still matched properly.

Engine is still running rough in the air, so I'm going to try to cover the bottom inlet in the cowl with some screen to diffuse the air. Hopefully it will dampen the effect of the air hitting the vent on the carb.

Whew! Lots of words! It was great seeing so many flying buddies today. Two successful maidens. Good day

Well the worst is over now it just a matter of working on it until it fits your flying style. Good looking plane.