• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aj aircraft 93,73,56 laser

AKfreak

150cc
So you set expo up differently on a Rudder vs Aileron, vs Elevator. I have a lot to learn, I just use flight modes. EG, 65% expo on high rates, 35% expo on mid rates, and 20% expo on Low rates. One switch applys the rate and expo to all control surfaces at once. Boy I have a lot to learn.

gyro

GSN Contributor
So you set expo up differently on a Rudder vs Aileron, vs Elevator. I have a lot to learn, I just use flight modes. EG, 65% expo on high rates, 35% expo on mid rates, and 20% expo on Low rates. One switch applys the rate and expo to all control surfaces at once. Boy I have a lot to learn.

Yes... I have one switch trigger my low - mid - high rates like you, but each surface has a different amount of expo... rudder gets a little more than elevator, etc... :)

3dbandit

100cc

I use 4 switches. Separate aileron, ele, and rudder DR and Expo. I also have a switch with different throttle curves.

This allows me to use different combinations of rates and expo for different types of flying.

AKfreak

150cc
WOW, Jacob I would love to sit down with you for a few hours and go through my radio and learn a few things.

Some of my planes are setup on 4 switches as well with separate rates on aileron, elevator, and rudder, and a throttle curve switch. The curve switch is usually temporary until I find a curve I like. With IMAC you need separate rates as you will want low rates until you need more throw like hammerheads or spins. With rollers a lower rate aileron is helpful to keep the stick pegged with a lower roll rate. On the MXS I had a super high rate on the elevator just for tumbles. Rudder is usually setup for 80% expo on a 3D plane and will not need a rate switch. That is the way I setup my planes, but everyone has their preference.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I use 4 switches. Separate aileron, ele, and rudder DR and Expo. I also have a switch with different throttle curves.

This allows me to use different combinations of rates and expo for different types of flying.

The setup can make or break your flying experience. There are many times the plane design gets a bad rap because the setup never allowed the full performance of the design to be used. For extreme flying setup is as critical as bolting on the wings, strapping down the batts and doing a control check. Spend time with someone experienced or experiment on your own. Start with throws, geometry of the servo arms and resolution of the servos (shoot for maximum resolution wherever possible), then the rates and expo. I was amazed with the performance difference after "tweaking" more performance out of my 78 extra. Maneuvers that were not possible were made fairly easy. That was only squeezing about 3-10 degrees more throw. The resolution increase was the real key. Good luck.

I have flown Gary's 91 extra 3 times now, and each time I have had a different impression of it as he has tweaked his setup and CG. At first it was pretty much perfect for me, then he moved the CG forward and I hated it, Now it a mature setup and I find it comfy. Not the way I would do everything, but it did everything I asked of it.

The newest thing that I am learning now is ailerons as I always fly in high rates, which is usually 50+ degrees. Well at that rate they are air braking as my mid rates roll faster on a lot of my planes. I need to setup my mid rates closer to the 36-38 degree mark and reserve high rates for hovering and such when I need deflective force.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I see my 92" on the middle rack with it's firewall waiting for my DA-70.

almost.jpg

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have flown Gary's 91 extra 3 times now, and each time I have had a different impression of it as he has tweaked his setup and CG. At first it was pretty much perfect for me, then he moved the CG forward and I hated it, Now it a mature setup and I find it comfy. Not the way I would do everything, but it did everything I asked of it.

The newest thing that I am learning now is ailerons as I always fly in high rates, which is usually 50+ degrees. Well at that rate they are air braking as my mid rates roll faster on a lot of my planes. I need to setup my mid rates closer to the 36-38 degree mark and reserve high rates for hovering and such when I need deflective force.

+1. Same with some of the complex maneuvers like crankshafts. Too much aileron can prematurely stall the wing out of the maneuver.