• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ARF shelf life?

After not flying for the past 5 years, i'm getting everything in my hanger ready for spring. Most of them are glow stuff, that i'm not too worried about.. i built the things, and i know how they're put together. The one i'm kinda worried about is a GP Ultimate with a 50cc Brison that hasn't been in the air for 5 years. I'm wondering if I should strip the covering off and hit the glue joints with some CA or something. Granted, it's not the best scheme i've ever seen on an Ultimate o_O but at least I don't have to cover the thing. So what say you? Do I need to worry about it at all? From what I can see of the framework, everything appears to be just the way it was when I put it up.

oh, and Yeah, everything is getting new Batteries, i've gone through all the servos and switches and so far everything is fine.

Take it easy the first couple of flights. Shake the rust off your fingers first with something that really doesn't matter. Just give things a good pull, and just generally check for cracking wood when you twist on things, on the ground of course. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A few good twists on the fuse will tell you right away if there is reason for concern. I've known guys that have flown an air frame for many years without any problems. As Bunky said, shake the rust from your fingers with something else first. When I came back after eight years it wasn't so much the rusty fingertips I had to worry about. It was the cobwebs in my head. Some how that connection between my brain and fingers short circuted. Lol. You'll get it back in no time.:banana-dance:

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Is the radio a 2.4 Ghz one or are you using the old frequency? If you are sill on the the old frequency, consider upgrading the radio before flying your Ultimate at least.

CEThomas

50cc
The airframe will be ok, What you may notice is that the covering may get brittle and can punch holes in it just handling it. My Cap that I am flying is 11yrs old. Did a recover job on it last year and hope to get a few more years out of it.

Gave the wings and fuse a pretty good twisty and bend treatment last night... no snap crackle or pop, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. If at blows up, well, that's just a good reason to go get something new. Spent the rest of the evening replacing fuel lines, the old ones were stiff as a board, and getting a new cowl and wheel pants on it.

I'm familiar with old monokote getting brittle... I've got a 25+ year old Super Hots that you can put your finger through the wing without any trouble at all. I'm thinking i'll just recover it and use it as the 'sacrificial virgin' for my first few flights.

Thanks all for the advice! it's much appreciated. now get off the forums and go build something!

Aint nothing wrong with flying GS on 72 MHz. We did it for years. And now all of a sudden, if some flys on 72 MHz, its a crime??

I personally wouldn't fly GS on an FM system. PCM is best, that way, fail safes can be set.

I have thought about going old school on an existing airframe. 72 MHz system, NiMH packs and analog servos just to prove that you can do it, still. Then I realized I would have to find 6 more JR 2721s, a 9 ch PCM Rx, 4000 mAh packs and buy a JR 9503 or 10X radio.....

The average pilot will not feel a great big difference between 2.4 and 72. May have to decrease the expo slightly, but other than that, all systems go.