• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Big News: ZTW B Series ESC's are HERE!

hone

150cc
Ordered up a B-series hv 120 ZTW ESC last night and got my shipping notice before waking up this morning. Thanks for the super fast shipping :pompom:

hone

150cc
Photo on 2012-10-27 at 17.40.jpgI just got my ZTW 120A opto ESC. It looks nice but i have some questions. What is the extra red wire coming from the battery leads? And do i still have to take out the red wire from the RX lead even though it doesn't have a bec? I'm going to use a CC BEC pro with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
View attachment 2689I just got my ZTW 120A opto ESC. It looks nice but i have some questions. What is the extra red wire coming from the battery leads? And do i still have to take out the red wire from the RX lead even though it doesn't have a bec? I'm going to use a CC BEC pro with it.

Joe, the red wire is for spark prevention. If you make a small connector and separate lead on the red wire from your battery, and then connect the two red wires prior to mating the connector, it prevents the big spark.
I didn't use mine, as the spark wasn't big enough on 8s.
Also, you don't need to cut the wires on an OPTO esc.

Hope this helps!

-G

hone

150cc
It does indeed help. Thanks Gary. I probably won't use the extra red wire either. Now i just need some servos and a motor and i can get this thing going.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am looking to get an 85A B-series for my Motrolfly 4315-714 and I am planning on using a separate BEC so looking at the 85A- OPTO I am confused because the features mention that it has an internal BEC, is that correct? When will these be back in stock.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am looking to get an 85A B-series for my Motrolfly 4315-714 and I am planning on using a separate BEC so looking at the 85A- OPTO I am confused because the features mention that it has an internal BEC, is that correct? When will these be back in stock.

Ray,

I've had a few conversations with Tim @ Quantum about these ESCs, and Tim's recommendation for the DM-4315 is to use the regular 85A with the SBEC, and then isolate the red wire (either by cutting, or using a jumper) and then add the separate BEC.
The regular 85A is the one I'm using with my two motrolfly motors.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Ray,

I've had a few conversations with Tim @ Quantum about these ESCs, and Tim's recommendation for the DM-4315 is to use the regular 85A with the SBEC, and then isolate the red wire (either by cutting, or using a jumper) and then add the separate BEC.
The regular 85A is the one I'm using with my two motrolfly motors.

Okay thanks Gary. I won't be using HV servos on this so I may even just use the internal BEC then. This especially after reading the CC BEC Usage Advisory #2.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Okay thanks Gary. I won't be using HV servos on this so I may even just use the internal BEC then. This especially after reading the CC BEC Usage Advisory #2.

Oh crap, I haven't seen that one!

edit: just looked it up, and the issue is only IF the BEC has been crashed. I also use telemetry on all my electrics, so I monitor the BEC voltage at the Rx in real time, and have an alarm set for any abnormalities.

I truly like the confidence a separate BEC provides, just in case the ESC goes completely T.U., I still have Rx and servo control to glide back down or turn away from people if needed.

That said, I generally only do this on 50" and up, so both my 48" Vyper and 46" Yak don't have an external BEC.

-G

Last edited by a moderator: