Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel 30-35cc Extra Build Thread

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale ARF Build Threads' started by Suds, May 17, 2016.

1. Just introduced to the market spring 2016.
    This will be my first build thread so bear with me and ask questions and I'll do my best to keep up. The 'reserved' pages are to allow the entire build to be together with the q&a posts following.
    I ended up with a limited run yellow/blue/white scheme. Sounds as though Bill had the green light for this scheme which had been done as a custom one off for a much larger custom plane but apparently that approval changed somewhere after this limited production run.

This kit does not include wing bags nor SFGs.

I will be building this out with an electric 12s / Hacker A60 setup.

http://www.billhempel.com/extra-25/index.php

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    ProfilePilot and Bartman like this.
  2. Unboxing. Kit construction looks very close that of the 35cc PAU birds I've seen. Would venture a guess they are produced in the same facility but appear to be different designs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    WMcNabb and ProfilePilot like this.
  3. This evening (5-17-2016) I was able to cutout the servo and control horn holes with a soldering iron and install the control horns.

The horns were all dry fit (the elevator horns needed shortened by one tab) then sanded and finally installed with epoxy.

This was the first time I used epoxy with a mixing tube - certainly made easier and cleaner work and was able to place epoxy exactly where needed without any slop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    ProfilePilot likes this.
  4. Ailerons and elevators hinged (5-18-2016). I used the trick learned from Tseres and used a hole punch to create some glue masks for the hinge points. Hinge holes were taped over, hinges lightly sanded, hinge point oilded and finally installed with gorilla glue. I taped the surfaces in a fully deflected position while the glue dried.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    ProfilePilot likes this.
  5. Motor and ESC mounted. Managed to find a Hacker template online and after 4-5 ties, finally printed out the correct size to use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  6. Servo's mounted.

Attached Files:

7. Cowl cooling cut and cowl installed, radio programming completed, motor run up...ready for a maiden. Canopy glued together but forgot to grab pics.

Attached Files:

8. Obligatory pre maiden pics you know just in case.

Attached Files:

WMcNabb likes this.
  9. Should I add another hinge or two to the rudder? I was thinking of adding another two (double up the top and bottom hinges) or will I be fine with three hinges on the rudder?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. As these are 3/16" size hinges, I ended up staying with 3 but did use genuine Robarts.