• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I use the 14sg. I thought ailevator set up was selecting a plane type. It's been awhile since I programmed a plane though.
Ailevators and elevons are typically used for "V" tails such as a Bonanza or for jets, right? For multiple aileron and rudder servos, I set each corresponding servo individually for optimal operation in their own channel. Then connect both to receiver and use the fine tuning in the radio for exact throw. Works great with no binding, overworking or stalled servos. My son does the same. (He taught me how to do this...lol) Our mah usage is quite low. Even on our big ships. Usually around 900 to 1100 mah per pack for a normal 4 to 5 flight day. The smaller planes are considerably less.

So far, (knock on wood) we've not had any servos lost, burnt up or flattened packs. Not sure it is the absolute in a perfect setup. But it seems to work great.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
It is part of the model type found in the manual on page 72, it cover's the wing type, rudder type, and tail type. It is also possible to mirror these channels with the auxiliary channels for more surface servos but that is for another discussion.

Attachments

• Capture 10 (2).PNG
    Capture 10 (2).PNG
    117.5 KB · Views: 373

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The radio is simple giving the selected model multiple surface outputs, I don't agree with the language such as ailevator but it is what it is. But then again then if using the elevator for ailerons also, ailevator would be appropriate but this is not a given option and would have to be mixed in.
If one selects winglet the radio will show two rudder channels, ailevator will show two elevator channels.
The Vtail selection will put rudder and elevator together.

Last edited:

thurmma

150cc
Sorry @HRRC Flyer, I only had Futaba when I was flying small glow. I was flying Airtronics for a long time and now fly Jeti. I have a friend with an 18MZ that has setup many muluple servo aileron and rudder planes I can try to pick his brain for you and see what he has to say

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

It's been a loooong week. I'm having a hard time waiting until Sunday when I go get my new Baby. I'm REALLY starting to get excited. . . . . :yesss:. I did order my 14 channel receiver today for it. I also got in touch with @pawnshopmike and amended my servo order to include an extra servo for the rudder, like Rob suggested. Like I said before, my mama didn't raise no dummy. Hopefully I'll be posting some pics on Sunday if it stops raining long enough to do it.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Not quite sure how many servos go in the Hempel Yak 55M wing but from past experience when I had two servos on the aileron I found
"Flaperon" mixing to be quite helpful in setting up the wings. Would also allow a "Negative Flap" or air brake if you will that would pop both ailerons up when mixed with up elevator but still allow LR aileron action. Made for some awesome "elevators" in 3D flying.
I also found that if the mechanical geometry is solid at neutral and there is no binding at the furthest most travel end points of each servo no additional devices are really needed as long as you have a channel assigned for each aileron servo. You can fine tune each servo that way.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

Ten hours on the road to High Point NC and back and I can FINALLY say, I am now the owner of a 35% Bill Hempel Yak 55. . . . . . :woohoo!:. Sorry, but no pictures tonight as it was after dark when I got home and had started to rain as soon as I started to walk to the house. I will get some tomorrow afternoon. Haven't even had a chance to really look at it. I noticed when I picked it up and put it in the back of my Durango, that the fuselage was so lite that it startled me. . . . . . :eek:. Then again, I guess it has to be if the flying weight minus fuel is supposed to be 25 to 26 pounds. While I was travelling home, I had some time to ponder the situation and I started to wonder what in the world have I gotten myself into?. . . . . . . :laughing:. I did notice the guy I bought the plane from left all the ball links, turnbuckles and other hardware on the plane. He didn't tell me he was going to do that so I assumed that he was going to keep that stuff. He even left a nice fuel tank in the fuse for me to use. What little I saw of the plane, it looks like it is in very good shape with little to no hanger rash. Even the covering is nice and tight. All I can think of now is, Come on Springtime. . . . . . . :yesss: .

WMcNabb

150cc
Well Fellas,

Ten hours on the road to High Point NC and back and I can FINALLY say, I am now the owner of a 35% Bill Hempel Yak 55. . . . . . :woohoo!:. Sorry, but no pictures tonight as it was after dark when I got home and had started to rain as soon as I started to walk to the house. I will get some tomorrow afternoon. Haven't even had a chance to really look at it. I noticed when I picked it up and put it in the back of my Durango, that the fuselage was so lite that it startled me. . . . . . :eek:. Then again, I guess it has to be if the flying weight minus fuel is supposed to be 25 to 26 pounds. While I was travelling home, I had some time to ponder the situation and I started to wonder what in the world have I gotten myself into?. . . . . . . :laughing:. I did notice the guy I bought the plane from left all the ball links, turnbuckles and other hardware on the plane. He didn't tell me he was going to do that so I assumed that he was going to keep that stuff. He even left a nice fuel tank in the fuse for me to use. What little I saw of the plane, it looks like it is in very good shape with little to no hanger rash. Even the covering is nice and tight. All I can think of now is, Come on Springtime. . . . . . . :yesss: .

Really happy for you David! Can’t wait to see the photos tomorrow.