• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Broken control horn plate

cyclenut

30cc
So, while putting my new 65" vyper together... I managed to break the little plate that the dual control horns for one of the ailerons fit through. I ca'd it back together and it was strong enough that it held together for my second attempt to assemble the dual control horn. Will it be strong enough after using pu glue to affix it to the aileron? Or should I talk to 3dhs to get another one. Additionally, being a heli guy, I am going to. Use align ds615 servos, but what length servo arms should I be using? I bought a set of the std dubro futaba horns. The set has 2 long and 4 short, I am thinking I need 4 of the longer ones

gyro

GSN Contributor
So, while putting my new 65" vyper together... I managed to break the little plate that the dual control horns for one of the ailerons fit through. I ca'd it back together and it was strong enough that it held together for my second attempt to assemble the dual control horn. Will it be strong enough after using pu glue to affix it to the aileron? Or should I talk to 3dhs to get another one. Additionally, being a heli guy, I am going to. Use align ds615 servos, but what length servo arms should I be using? I bought a set of the std dubro futaba horns. The set has 2 long and 4 short, I am thinking I need 4 of the longer ones

The little plate for the double control horn could probably be repaired again, I even once forgot to use one!
As for the align servos, I flew them on my 65" Vyper when I had it, and most currently on my 71" Slick and 74" Edge. They're great servos! Durable and fast, you'll really enjoy them.
For the horns, you should be ok to put the long ones on the elevator (rudder if you're not going pull/pull on the servo tray) and the short arms on the ailerons.
If you don't have a spare double sided arm to do a pull-pull rudder, I might have another spare plastic heavy duty one that would work, let me know.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375567693.575103.jpg

Gary

cyclenut

30cc
Cool, thx Gary for the quick reply. Looks like I have what I need with the dubro set I already have. I am planning on getting the hacker A50-16s v3 motor, so was planning on doing the pull-pull setup.

cyclenut

30cc
So went through the servo setup, and ended up with the long horns from the std dubro set on ail and ele. Went with the pull pull setup and the std full length arm isn't long enough to get full 45 degree deflection on the rudder with travel extents In the Transmitter maxed out on high rates. Going to try the long one next.

cyclenut

30cc
Just wanted to follow up, maidened my 65" vyper today, and boy does she fly great. Easily the most precise and smooth plane in my hangar (of course all the rest are foam :) )

SnowDog

Just wanted to follow up, maidened my 65" vyper today, and boy does she fly great. Easily the most precise and smooth plane in my hangar (of course all the rest are foam :) )

great to hear...I only had about an hour of flight time myself this weekend, and my 65" Vyper was the plane I chose to fly...so much fun doing precision stuff and practicing 4 point rolls as I work towards better (read: more consistent) rollers. :D Glad you enjoyed your plane and congrats on the maiden!

cyclenut

30cc
Thanks guys, i think I am going to have a lot if fun with the plane... Next on the list is a crack yak or laser to grow my skills