• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale BUSA Super Cub

TonyHallo

150cc
While masking off the N numbers on the Champ wings the back seat got painted with Rustoleum matte finish black rubber peel paint. The interior will be finished in the Daytona white.

IMG_3290.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Had friends from the Lone Star State visiting over the weekend so not much was done. Decided to assemble the landing gear to kill some time. The brake drums and backing plates were made some time ago not long after the lathe was purchased. This morning I added the brake line, 2mm copper tube and 1/8" hex nuts, I like it. Also assembled the bungee covers, ran out of 4-40 all metal locking nuts, ordered 50 on Ebay, should be here in a few days.

IMG_3295 (1).jpg
IMG_3296.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3298.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The Falcon 25X9 carbon fiber prop arrived, this was need to check the final fitment of the spinner. The spinner was originally cut to fit a 24x8 wood prop for the 3W 56 twin, that was awhile ago.
IMG_3299.jpg

I had to sand the cowl and spinner down, there were small imperfections that looked like very small fish eyes, did show up in the primer or during the first two or light dust coats, only on the final wet coat. I suspect it has something to with the mold release agents since the solid surfaces on the boot cowls are just fine.
IMG_3300.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
After sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, prime, sand the nose bowl definition lines began to disappear. Three layers of 1/16" masking tape and a little more primer restored the lines. Put the red back on this morning and after a few days of curing will put the Daytona White on the fuselage and corrosponding parts. Three current Cub builds going on now, nice!

IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3302.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice colour red.
What’s all the T pins about.?
It would almost be worth it to make the 4 hour drive to you to have paint my cowls.
Question Tony 25-9 on 56 twin is that not a lot of prop for the engine. I have 3W-50 and have 22-10 on it. Just asking. I fly a 25-9 on my DA 70

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Nice colour red.
What’s all the T pins about.?
It would almost be worth it to make the 4 hour drive to you to have paint my cowls.
Question Tony 25-9 on 56 twin is that not a lot of prop for the engine. I have 3W-50 and have 22-10 on it. Just asking. I fly a 25-9 on my DA 70
I think the T-pins keep paint out of the screw holes.

TonyHallo

150cc
The rear of the cowl is supported on a piece of 1/2" plywood that has a threaded pipe flange and pipe attached, the wood is cut to approximate shape if the cowl. The pipe goes through the nose bowl where a wood spacer is fitted to support the front, the pins are just keeping the cowl in place as it is rotated during painting.

When the plane was built some time ago, a 3W56 CS twin was fitted. The plane was never finished. When I decided to finish the plane last year I elected to go with a Roto 85 FS, same engine the Champ has, swinging a 26x8 in the Champ at 5600 rpm. I picked the 25x9 because a 26x8 carbon fiber prop wasn't available. The 3W 56 sits on the shelf, 17 years old , never ran. Thinking about using it in the glass fuselage Cherokee build.

I'm using Randolph's Randthane which is a two part urethane based paint very similar to the Steward System Ekopoly paint. Same procedure is used for both, dust on light coats until color saturation is achieved allowing each coat to tach up. The final coat is wetted out to achieve the shine. When spraying the final coat it is sprayed with the same gun setting just moving slower and multiple coat until is shines, very easy to control. The paint I'm using was bought the same time the 3w 56 was purchased some 17 years ago!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow you have had that 3W-56 sitting on the shelf for 17 Years that is a long time. Nice engine always wanted one looked at it several times, but just never made the jump. If you ever want to sell please give me the first opportunity to buy it, I have the perfect plane for it.