• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Alert! CALL TO ACTION: FAA threatening new regulations!!!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm the guy helping run the local club here and just wanted to share my recent update.
AMA sent me an e-mail with a link to send AMA our site GPS coordinates, our LOA, and purpose/need for a FRIA. Doing so AMA was going to submit our FRIA request on our behalf.
Anyways, just wanted to share the recent update in light of what my Canadian brothers are experiencing right now....

@Snoopy1 @-Rick-
From what I understand the MAAC is Canadas version of the USA's AMA, Your Transport Canada is our FAA, and your NavCanada is our B4UFly?
It sounds like MAAC just decided to give in! How rude. This is exactly what I fear with AMA becoming a CBO FRIA mediator. Going to have us by the dingle berries. Fooling aside it makes me want to become my own CBO, apply for my own FRIA, OR just disregard all laws and use common sense like we have done before "drones" showed up. What a crazy world we live in.

I have to ask, are you required to be a part of MAAC in Canada? AMA is a membership here and only some clubs require it so to speak. But in the airspace we are technically required to use B4UFly/LAANC to fly, but not required to get authorization unless it's controlled airspace. things are changing and I hope we don't have to sit on our transmitters like you guys are now while lengthy regulations are being developed.

Here's and excerpt I found from MAAC:
"In the next few days, all members will receive a letter from MAAC which will advise you that the MAAC Board of Directors has made the decision to temporarily suspend all outdoor flying activity, effective immediately. This letter will also give you more background information and perspective, but the main points are outlined below.

The suspension is a proactive measure to show Transport Canada and NAV CANADA that MAAC is a reliably self-regulating partner in Canadian aviation. It was triggered by the NAV CANADA discovery of several MAAC flying sites that were approved in controlled airspace without an agreement in place with the controlling agency, in breach of both the Transport Canada Exemption, and an agreement with NAV CANADA
."

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
In a nutshell you are correct. We have all been grounded. Information is not available on who and what is happening. Do not even know who to call or approach to find out how to fix the problem. All the fields info and rules were sent into MAAC and it has disappeared into a black hole. The worst thing is are we going to be able to fly this season. Just do not know how long this process is going to take. When it first started I was lead to believe that by the end of January most of the fields will be sanctioned, did not happen. Not sure but believe that 2 fields have been sanctioned To fly.

-Rick-

100cc
@AKNick @Snoopy1 I am the president of our club in Ontario. Many clubs that are 3 nautical miles outside of restricted airspace have been opened as far as I know. But MAAC, Transport Canada, Nav Canada still have not reached an agreement for the clubs within 3 nautical miles of restricted airspace, which our club is. We are 2.5 NM from restricted airspace because of a hospital helipad so we wait, and many other clubs have the same issue. We were told that they BELIEVE an agreement should be in place sometime in March. I was told that there were many clubs that were flying IN restricted airspace but not telling MAAC that really pi$$ed off Transport Ca. and nav Ca. when they found out. So MAAC has to draw up new rules and we wait....

And ya Nick, if I were not the president I'd find a farmers field to fly in. And ya, all because of Walmart type stores drone's. It is a crazy world!!!

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the one thing that gets me irritated is the 400'agl cap in uncontrolled airspace that went from an advisory to law in the US. what a joke.
We have an LOA when they decided to expand the controlled airspace to 5miles.... that got changed back to three thank goodness.

-Rick-

100cc
It is all nonsense. One point we were told we were good for 700 feet AGL, now we are down to 400. We are outside of controlled airspace but because we are 2.5 away from that...
Also I just learned that Nav Canada is now privately owned and they are putting the screws to us, and full scale as well as in making it a cash grab. Government lets them, BS big time

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I agree the 400 ft is joke. But let’s face it who is going to be able to measure that. Small plane flying around in 3 dimensions there is not and instrument that can lock on and do all the math to figure that. Only if you are with in the airspace of a major air port with radar. And you need to be with in 3 miles and fly a lot higher than 400 ft for it to pick you up.