• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Can a servo be too fast?

Flying RC stuff is a secondary or tertiary hobby for me. I enjoy it, I just have other stuff to do as well. I live in Minnesota, winter seems eternal, and last fall I decided I needed something cheap to do that didn't involve freezing my balls off. I got into indoor off road RC racing. I started with the cheapest class, then picked up a 1/10 scale short course truck and started racing that. I recently swapped out my steering servo for a much faster model. Holy balls, what a difference that made. .06sec on a 60º swing running 7.4v through the BEC. The response is instantaneous, and I'm really pissed I hadn't made the change sooner.

My biggest plane, (and what I fly the most), is a 30cc Aeroworks Extra 260. I don't remember exactly what servos I've got on the control surfaces, but they're metal gear, digital Hitech servos. They were about $55 a piece I think. If I were to step into something like a Hitech HSB-9360TH on everything would I expect to have a similar experience as I did in my short course truck? Just more connected to everything and more responsive? Having a servo that fast, is there concern about ripping the servo horns out even if they are properly adhered?

I'm also curious about things like the Smart Fly powerboxes, looks like they will only output 6.5v? That really lowers the speed from having stuff at 7.4v. Is there another better option? Right now in the Extra I've got a regulator on the RX and I'm using 2S LiFe packs. One straight to the ignition, one for the RX through the regulator.

I'm really wanting that 120cc Freestyle Extra, which is why I asked about the powerbox, but I don't think I can justify the expense. If I did pull the trigger on it, I don't want to go half assed on anything.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not always true but but basically you can never have a servo to fast or to powerful. The servo will go as fast as your finger on the stick if the servo is fast enough.

JK13

30cc
Faster is better-
Connection/feel improves-
The most significant gains to get that connected feel is with fast servos.

:)

Joe

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
All servos specs are being measured with 1" arm so the minute you play with the geometry you can make them slower or faster weaker or stronger.

Never found a servo too fast fo your fingers when you fly more you want it faster. So just fly...

Smart Fly can work with up to 8.5 v. Which is a native 7.4 2 cell lipo.
It's up to you if you want to use voltage regs or not.

Cheers

Its the signal voltage that is boosted, I think. Unless it is the super Mack daddy SF unit with regulators built in. And even then, I believe that the signal voltage is boosted.

I have never used a SF unit, so my info may be a tad on the incorrect side....... My info here is what I have picked up from others who use them local to me.