Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Cappy cuts/builds an old school Ultra Hots with a few mods.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by capthis, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

Years ago I had a Super Hots my flying mentor helped me cut and build when I first started flying. I flew it with an old OS 61FP and it was a great plane for a recent graduate from the trainer and I absolutely wore it out. (Circa 1998/1999)

I haven't flown glow in years and the ole Super Hots isn't quite big enough for gas so I bought a set of Ultra Hots plans to build one of those.

Some of you know I have a faux kit company I call "Crappy Cut Kits" and it's really just a running joke but I do cut a few kits once in a while. Now I have all kinds of employment issues as my lead production worker is honestly kind of lazy, my marketer is terrible and doesn't know what he is doing, and some days I swear the quality assurance guy is blind. And the customer service rep honestly has no people skills. This is why it's just a faux company!!!!

But with that said here goes a thread about the old skewl design with hopefully a little modern flair and some lightening and control surface mods.

Here's a couple photos of an Ultra Hots for those that haven't ever seen one before.

G38 Ultra Hots Assembled.jpg M0RDMkU0RTZCMUZDQjQwRDgxRjM6YTY2ZjdmZGU2NjI2YjFiZjM4MjhkOTRlOTg4N2ViYzk6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

31030.jpg First step for me is to make copies of the cut parts from the plans. This isn't too bad of a task with the copier at work (shh don't tell the big wigs)

orthobird and pawnshopmike like this.
  3. BalsaDust

BalsaDust Moderator

This thread is worthless without pics.

4. BalsaDust

BalsaDust Moderator

never mind

5. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

Then you have to order wood. I love me some Tower Hobbies Coupon action! 31090.jpg

orthobird likes this.
  6. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

Once you have wood, and the parts for templates the fun starts. 32379.jpg 32435.jpg 32495.jpg 32464.jpg 32379.jpg

7. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

So I'm sure your asking, what does he cut this stuff with?? Mostly the band saw. I LOVE the band saw 32525.jpg 32499.jpg 32503.jpg 32517.jpg , but I also use the scroll saw where I need too as well. I also use a few different sanders, but mostly the belt sander as seen under some parts and for inside radiuses I love the spindle sander.

8. [​IMG]

9. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

A few more parts including the wheel panties! :) 32557.jpg 33700.jpg

10. capthis

capthis 70cc twin V2

So now that we have basic kit cut it's time to do some mods.

I originally cut the center of the ribs out. That was worth 1.5ozs over the solid ribs.

Cutting these pieces out yielded 4.1ozs saved total. I may also cut out the full size doubler as well but haven't yet.

49170.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016