• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

choosing a foam airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkj

70cc twin V2
I ve never had a twisted hobbies but me and friend have flown fancy foam. They are very good planes and the price is not outrageous. I currenlty have a tech one su31 and its ok, very tough but not the best flying foamy. Ive never checked twisted hobbies prices but i may consider one someday. However im not paying a premium price for a piece of foam.

I ve never had a twisted hobbies but me and friend have flown fancy foam. They are very good planes and the price is not outrageous. I currenlty have a tech one su31 and its ok, very tough but not the best flying foamy. Ive never checked twisted hobbies prices but i may consider one someday. However im not paying a premium price for a piece of foam.

I'm glad to hear you had some success with FF. In theory, the T1 SU31 should fly well. I know you probably have your preferences and techniques. I'm no expert by any means, but I have found a few key ways to improve scratch built and other brand foamies to perform at the same level as TH planes. Here are a few of my rules. I have had more than a couple other TH owners walk up to talk to me and ask how I get $25 airframes to perform like they do. Here are my rules. Again, I'm just an average joe 3d guy. I'm not an expert and this is not a professional opinion.

1: Keep it as light as possible, but do what it takes to ensure the airframe is as ridged as possible first. The TH foam seems to be a more ideal density than some of the cheaper models. I think that is part of the secret, but maybe I'm imagining it or their print procedure helps with that. You have to match that rigidity as close as possible even if it takes more glue and/or bracing.

2: Spend lots of flights getting the CG in the ideal location ensuring you trim with each change. Once the ideal location is nailed and I have the best feel, I cut out the top of the fuselage and mount the battery on the top and centered so that I achieve a perfect balance in all three axis.

3: Build it straight and store it so that it never warps. Hang it on the wall, or cut vertical slots in a large box so that it stands straight up with the wings in the slots. Any time my EPP warps, my planes fly terribly.

4: Don't overdo the thrust line adjustments. I found myself getting too aggressive with that early on.

5: Use the lightest power and battery setup possible! I will step up to 3s before I add a bigger motor.

6: Throw the gear in the parts bin, unless you can't live without it.

7: Try different props. It is shocking how much this can make a difference. The Gemfan 8x4.5 is usually what I personally like on most of my 32" planes. That prop can really liven some boring planes. Some like the GWS and others though.

8: Don't overdue the Expo. You will lose your mental connection with the airplane if you go to far.

9: Don't skimp on the aileron servo!

10: Support your pushrods better.

11: Keep linkages tight with zero slop. Keep control geometry balanced.

12: Have fun and fly them hard!

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.