• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

tylerzx9r

100cc
I figured since this is the build thread area, this would be the best place for this question. At some point during building, or repairing, or rebuilding (in some cases) we are going to have to recover, or cover the aircraft. On some "ARF" models I have noticed they put covering over complete areas that have already been covered to get the graphics on. After a while, with so many layers, it is hard to get wrinkles out and keep everything smooth without burning or over shrinking the covering. In this case, what do you guys think? Should you just overlap an edge or seam and change colors without going over everything again, and again? or should you just keep things to a minimal layering (like 2)? example: Cover the whole plane white, then put a yellow swoop over the white. Or where the swoop goes, cut out the white (or don't put it there at all) and overlay the swoop and make sure the edges are overlapped and sealed good. I have never been great at covering and would like to be better informed for future projects! Thanks for any input you may have!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've done it both ways, but you will quickly come to find out that covering is heavy. It adds up quickly, so if you can avoid multiple layers you will cut weight as well as headaches. If you have open structure you obviously have to cover that area with a single pc. because seams that are not "stuck" to something will eventually fail. So, with an ARF you are hosed sometimes between what is best and what is required. Two layers are pretty easy to manage but if you end up with three layers over an area it is very hard to get that third layer down without messing with the second layer. Unless, you use monokote for your second or third layer in which case you can use the "windex" method and then trim solvent and heat. I've not done much of that method myself.

jcrosk

30cc
I've been covering my Sig Sundancer bipe the last couple of weeks and was wondering the same thing; is there a better process? It would be interesting to see a video showing how they do this in the ARF manufacturing facilities on a production scale. Have they come up with an efficient process that produces good results or are they simply throwing bodies at it to get it done?

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
I like using Ultra not Mono for covering just because I do. No covering brand wars wanted or needed :). The only down side to having rolls of Ultra was to do trim with covering over covering I was using low heat, hoping not to trap air or cause off gassing, it can be done but it isn't easy to get it perfect.

The Mono guys just use original, with ammonia, Windex and a squeegee. Yes I could buy Mono and use this mothod over Ultra but I have rolls of Ultra and they shrink differently.

Stay tuned, I have the solution. Simple Ultra over Ultra instructions coming in a new thread that @SleepyC; and @Bartman; will want to "sticky".

I searched for years to find the solution but even Google didn't have it. So I experimented and found the foolproof method that I will share only here at GSN.