• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA-70 Alternatives

We all know and love the DA-70. There's no question that its a great engine. However, are there other engines in that size/weight that I should consider?

DA, DLE, and 3W both make 85 singles. The vibration on singles concerns me, but MOAR power is always nice.

EME makes a 70, but reports are that it doesn't perform as well as the DA

DLA makes a 64 twin but I've never seen one

DLE has a 60 twin, but less power than the DA-70

MVVS makes an 80 single. I've had good luck with MVVS in the past but they have no twin in this size range

Did I miss anything? Are any of these engines something to consider instead of the DA-70?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I think 3W makes a 70 twin. the GP61 (single) may be worth of a look.

Not sure on the 70 size but I fly with a buddy that has a DA120 in a PAU Extra and also has the EME120 in a Aeroworks Yak 55. Both are awesome and based on how they start and run I would not have any reservations purchasing the EME.

One thing nice about the EME70 is the angled plugs; that helps give the engine a smaller width profile.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
EME70 is not even close on power, about the same as a DLE61. DLE60 is very nice but same power as a DLE55.

If you want better performance you need an 85-90 single, but you just can't beat the grunt and smooth operation of the DA70. Not to mention they will darn near last forever.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
We all know and love the DA-70. There's no question that its a great engine. However, are there other engines in that size/weight that I should consider?

DA, DLE, and 3W both make 85 singles. The vibration on singles concerns me, but MOAR power is always nice.

EME makes a 70, but reports are that it doesn't perform as well as the DA

DLA makes a 64 twin but I've never seen one

DLE has a 60 twin, but less power than the DA-70

MVVS makes an 80 single. I've had good luck with MVVS in the past but they have no twin in this size range

Did I miss anything? Are any of these engines something to consider instead of the DA-70?
I run the MVVS 80 on an EF Extra 91". Very smooth and powerful. I run a Falcon 27X9.

ryan_m

100cc
What kind of performance numbers does a DA-70 get, or better asked, what kind of RPM would one get on say a Falcon 24x9 carbon prop?

I have an EME-70, have about 3 gallons through it now, and am happy with it. I've got it mounted on a 3dhs 91" Yak 55 that weighs in at 21lb.
The motor will spin the Falcon 24x9 to 6850 rpm. No idea how that compares to a DA-70...
I probably would have gotten a DA-70 instead of the EME, but the angled plugs on the DA would have had me cutting holes in the side of the cowl and I really didn't want to do that. The EME is probably the best alternative to the DA if you wanted a twin. If you were ok with a single, then the options are much greater obviously.
I had goals of minimizing the vibrations and thus the continual airframe maintenance I was doing on the DA-60 and EME 60's I had before this. Had planes that were constantly needing work it seemed like due to things shaking apart. The Yak has been awesome and smooth with the EME 70. Love the twins.... kinda wish I had a bigger vehicle (and budget) and I would just skip straight to a DA-120 and 35% and probably really like it. I think the extra weight of a twin is probably better suited to a larger plane... but the Yak flies well even at it's somewhat porky 21lb.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
RPM numbers are irrelevant to engine performance (let the flaming begin) but it's plain and simply true. Some engines spool quick and some engines rev high, also different parts of the country are different.

DA70 will rip a 25x8W. You will need a 24x10 or 25x8W, 24x9 is too small.

ryan_m

100cc
I agree that random rpm comparisons that weren't taken on pretty much the same day at the same location are very hard to get any meaningful comparison with! But something is better than nothing... If a DA-70 could turn that same prop to say 7500 rpm, then clearly it would make more power! I also agree that the feel of where it makes that power makes a difference too, like you said, some rev high, others don't. DLE-35 compared to a DA-35 is a great example of that. The DLE likes a smaller prop and higher rpm than the DA35. But I don't have any apples to apples comparison experience of what a DA70 would be like, and so far the EME has been a solid motor, especially considering it's price. Smooth and plenty of power for my needs.

For whatever it's worth, those numbers were at 400 ft elevation, on an 80 degree day with 40% humidity or so.

The EME definitely doesn't spool quite as quick as the DA, but it works just fine for me and my flying. If the DA just had angled plugs, or my cowl was an inch wider I would have definitely gone for it. The weights in the manuals look like the DA 70 is quite a bit lighter than the EME, though I have no idea where it could shave that much weight from. Something like 7 oz if memory serves me right.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
If memory serves me I was turning 7200 on a 25x8W when the engine was new. Batteries have been dead in my tach for last two years.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Going beyond 70cc is too close to 100cc. Why not buy a cheap older 100cc? The older my 3W-106 (8 yrs old?) gets the better it runs.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The DA 85 makes great power for an engine of it's size, but weighs almost a pound more than the DA70 and has a good deal more vibration. Also a 27" prop would cause clearance issues on most airplanes made for a 70.

Overkill......fun overkill, but still overkill.