• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA Pickup Coil To Rcexl RPM Gauge Is Now A Reality!

Vital-Rc

50cc
Hello Guys,

This idea popped in my head a few years ago when I was wanting an easy way to get some static RPM numbers for DA engines, since I was never a huge fan of Optic RPM gauges I sought after a better solution. After a few hours of getting the idea on paper life got in the way and the project set for another year, go figure right?

Anyways, over the past 15 months I've hit the project pretty hard with a good friend of mine when we had some free moments. Usually it was working on the project from 11 pm to 3am in the morning a few nights a month. We went through 4 different designs and finally got this circuit down to a safe and simple circuit that functions as a read only device with 3 different over voltage protection circuits in place to insure there is no damage to the signal converter or your DA ignition.

Installation is very simple, power the unit with 5 to 18 dc volts, install the y harness in line with your DA pick up coil , and simply plug in your RPM gauge. The unit was designed to accept 2 rpm reading devices.

Once the unit is powered on you will see a bright blue light letting you know it's powered on.

I have 5 units built now, 1 is going to DA and another is mine for further testing. I will be sending 3 more units out to members on the forum who are interest in beta testing before the final release.

The circuit is 100% designed and built by myself and good friend Anthony Ford. I couldn't have done it without him and want to send a special thanks to DA and Tony Russo for sending me DA ignition parts for the development. This company is a huge asset to our RC community so please do everything to support their awesome products !

I will keep this thread updated on the development and so the beta testers can chime in on their input.

Thanks,

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 254

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
great job Dustin (and pass along a pat on the back to Anthony!) !! being someone that absolutely has no comprehension as to how electrons behave when they're at work, i'm very impressed by stuff like this.

:way_to_go:

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Nice Unit. Can it feed a Futaba serial bus for telemetry rpm? I have installed another "Hall" pick up on the under side of my DA 120 to get the RCExl tach to work but still to much "noise" for the Futaba serial bus.