• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA120 idle

Hi guys,

My DA120 is well run in (5+ gallons). I'm having trouble getting it to idle below 1100rpm without cutting - I feel it should be able to go lower. I leaned the low end about 1/8 turn but it didn't have any real impact.

When I ran with cowl off, I noticed that when I flipped choke off about half a teaspoon of fuel was running out of carb leading me to think maybe it is too rich. Engine starts on 6th flip after choke off without fail.

Prop is a 25x12 3-blade Mejzlik. Engine is on canisters, 2x JMB 60mm rear exits. Throttle servo can close fully it isn't and endpoint issue. Top end is around 6400-6500rpm but I've never really done much as the top end as engine is more than powerful enough for my needs!

I'd appreciate any advice, what is a good idle speed for a 3-blade prop on this engine. Where do I go from here?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
If you get 1100 rpm idle your good to go!........I get less shake at 1200 and set high idle to about 2000( point where ignition advance takes over and engine really smoothes out) I fly at high idle (idle up on a switch). Seems 900 or lower would shake everything apart. I don't recommend it. My 120 is fully broke in......about 20 gallons through it. Ran Pro Flow cans.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If you get 1100 rpm idle your good to go!........I get less shake at 1200 and set high idle to about 2000( point where ignition advance takes over and engine really smoothes out) I fly at high idle (idle up on a switch). Seems 900 or lower would shake everything apart. I don't recommend it. My 120 is fully broke in......about 20 gallons through it. Ran Pro Flow cans.
Have to agree with this. Although I do not have a DA, I have attempted to get as low of an idle with all my motors as I can. However with the twins I have, (2 DLE 111's, 3w 157cs and 3w170) usually somewhere around the 1100 to 1200 mark seems to be pretty good.