• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA170 Pipe Recommendations

Yes... I do... I did exactly 304 flights on the mufflers before I noticed the rattling. I continued to fly until I changed over to the 200 and that was when I also changed from the 1090's.
Wayne

A man after my own heart - logging every flight :) Thank you. That is a pretty good number of flights, seems to work out at the pair of pipes costing about $1-$1.50 / flight ... I'd prefer they didn't break... but for the additional power they sound like a good option. In your opinion, is it the case that the Planebender smooth pipe is a more solid product? They're pretty expensive to get to Europe but if they did twice the number of flights it would make economic sense!

I'm not sure if everyone who uses the 1090 had my same experience... OR even if they noticed the rattling and investigated.

On the Pro-Flows.... I never used the Tuned Pipes version.... I went with the canisters mufflers for the 200 and although they were 4oz heavier than the KS95 (which is what most use), the holes in the baffles are larger hence in 4 years of using the 200, I NEVER had to clean out the inside as compared to MANY pilots who have to clean out their KS95 at the end of a season (or two) of competition.
W

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Robert, have you had to clean out the RE3s?
I didn't have to but I did at one point since I had them out anyway on an air frame change. I used a grill cleaner/degreaser that was discussed in a thread about this a few years ago. I think maybe Clorox made it. At any rate, it's not sold anymore. Cleaning them didn't produce any change and the tune stayed the same. I would think if your pipes were clogged/clogging you would see a need to re-tune and, barring any other changes, that would be a red flag. I haven't needed to touch the needles on my DA170 in years and many, many gallons of gas and in all that time I've had a total of 2 dead sticks. Both were pilot error (forgot to fuel up between flights. Duh).

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Can anyone tell me the optimal header length for DA170 on KS1090s please?
Not sure if it's relevant but 14" is best for RE3s. You give up a tiny bit of power but have better transition (less peaky). I originally had my pipes on a DA150 with 11" headers. Very powerful but the pipes came on like a rocket booster.