• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA60 throttle and gurgle issues

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey guys I 2 DA60s with Jtech Pitts mufflers. Both are well broken in were taken good care of. But on one I can't get rid of this gurgle that just makes the throttle unreliable. It seems to improve as through out the flight but never really goes away. At the field yesterday I leaned the low end 1/16th and then the motor just would run. I turned it back and same thing. It would start and then when I advanced the throttle it would die. I'm going to pull the cowl off and work on it some more because I ran out of time.

On the other one it was very smooth but seemed to not have much of a mid range in throttle response. And now it is starting to gurgle!? My DA50 never did any of that so I don't know if its just a 60 thing? I am by no means an expert when it comes to tuning so that is why I am looking for some input.

THanks in advance!

Nick

thurmma

150cc
I Love Nachos;2250 wrote: Hey guys I 2 DA60s with Jtech Pitts mufflers. Both are well broken in were taken good care of. But on one I can't get rid of this gurgle that just makes the throttle unreliable. It seems to improve as through out the flight but never really goes away. At the field yesterday I leaned the low end 1/16th and then the motor just would run. I turned it back and same thing. It would start and then when I advanced the throttle it would die. I'm going to pull the cowl off and work on it some more because I ran out of time.

On the other one it was very smooth but seemed to not have much of a mid range in throttle response. And now it is starting to gurgle!? My DA50 never did any of that so I don't know if its just a 60 thing? I am by no means an expert when it comes to tuning so that is why I am looking for some input.

THanks in advance!

Nick

I had a DA-60 and could never get rid of the mid range gurgle either. I was running a wrap around pitts style muffler. It was a beast, but didn't like the mid range. I read on a few forums that people were putting cans on them with some success, but I never tried it. I called DA and they said that it was something that I was not going to get rid of, just the nature of the beast.

Bigbird

30cc
Nick,

What prop/size are you running? There are several guys in our club here that have them running with very little mid range issues. If you have the mixture set where the engine will take the quick throttle up right after start up its way to rich. Every one of these engines I've run, including my own require what you would consider a lean setting on the ground and the engine will not take the throttle up until its hot. In the air they run perfect. Reason I ask what prop is many times these engines are under propped. That can cause it to because the prop unloads so quick.

Jason

I Love Nachos

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have a 24x10 falcon CF on the main culprit. The other I have to check, as I got the plane in a trade and I don't exactly know. I'm thinking its a 23 something, but I will check tonight.

Karl H.

New to GSN!
In my Sebart Sukhoy I have a DA 60 with a intake trumpet. No gurgel. Better throttele response. Prop: Biela 22x12. 3 blade.

thurmma

150cc
Karl H.;8905 wrote: In my Sebart Sukhoy I have a DA 60 with a intake trumpet. No gurgel. Better throttele response. Prop: Biela 22x12. 3 blade.

Man, wish I would have known that before getting rid of the 60. It was an awesome engine, but just could never get rid of the gurgle in the mid range, so I sold it and went to a bigger plane :)

G257945

30cc
I too bought one from the first batch when they came out and battled a terrible mid range burble. Tried a stock muffler and a proflow can and a carb venture with no luck. All the tuning in the word didn’t help so I eventually sold it. From discussion over on the darkside forum about this very thing I believe a solution was found by backing the timing off to full retard. Talk was that the first few batches left with too much advance causing the carburation issues.

Scott

Karl H.

New to GSN!
[/ATTACH]3201[/ATTACH] I use intake trumpet on all my gas engines. 2 and 4 stroke. Less petrol in fuselage too. But it was nessesary to readjust the carb.

9015=3201-135.jpg
9015=3201-135.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Karl H.;9015 wrote: [/ATTACH]3201[/ATTACH] I use intake trumpet on all my gas engines. 2 and 4 stroke. Less petrol in fuselage too. But it was nessesary to readjust the carb.

thread drift, sorry!

what airplane is that Karl???