• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

here is where i am at now:

i inserted the aluminum tube in the spar hole, in front of the phenolic for the stab, in the fuselage.

i have sheeted the fuselage bottom, still need a little bit more to go.

i will have to open up several holes on the bottom of the fuselage and add air vent dams, in several areas, to help extract hot air out.

i have also ordered the KS cans, so once they arrive, i will do a engine mount trial, and then mount the cans, and open up the areas for the stingers.

as for after those steps, i will be on hold, til i get the wings and stabs.

3595=1560-IMG_5907.jpg
3595=1560-IMG_5907.jpg
3595=1561-IMG_5908.jpg
3595=1561-IMG_5908.jpg
3595=1563-IMG_5909.jpg
3595=1563-IMG_5909.jpg
3595=1564-IMG_5910.jpg
3595=1564-IMG_5910.jpg
3595=1565-IMG_5911.jpg
3595=1565-IMG_5911.jpg

another observation, looks like i will have to add a mount to extend the engine out forward to clear the cowl front opening.

Mikeq

150cc
Cam looking good... Were the servos for the wings and stabs already cut out? will you have to cut out your ailerons and elevators or were they done already? I cant wait till you do the rudder...I did a short kit once and messed up the rudder part but I had no experience or instruction to help..lost as a goose...

Mikeq;3622 wrote: Cam looking good... Were the servos for the wings and stabs already cut out? will you have to cut out your ailerons and elevators or were they done already? I cant wait till you do the rudder...I did a short kit once and messed up the rudder part but I had no experience or instruction to help..lost as a goose...

i will have to do all that!!

as you can imagine, i will go very very slow, and i will take my time.

Mikeq

150cc
orthobird;3636 wrote: i will have to do all that!!

as you can imagine, i will go very very slow, and i will take my time.

Cam..I'm very impressed with what you've done so far and I appreciate you sharing this build with us.

sparkx38

50cc
orthobird;3595 wrote: here is where i am at now:

i inserted the aluminum tube in the spar hole, in front of the phenolic for the stab, in the fuselage.

i have sheeted the fuselage bottom, still need a little bit more to go.

i will have to open up several holes on the bottom of the fuselage and add air vent dams, in several areas, to help extract hot air out.

i have also ordered the KS cans, so once they arrive, i will do a engine mount trial, and then mount the cans, and open up the areas for the stingers.

as for after those steps, i will be on hold, til i get the wings and stabs.
Looking good Cam.

What did you do to get the stringers, Where they wasn't quite true, on the bottom to adhere to the strip of sheeting?

orthobird;3614 wrote: another observation, looks like i will have to add a mount to extend the engine out forward to clear the cowl front opening.
Will you use a plywood mount or a machined mount?

sparkx38;3662 wrote: Looking good Cam.

What did you do to get the stringers, Where they wasn't quite true, on the bottom to adhere to the strip of sheeting?

the balsa sheet is running perpendicular to the stringer, so each segment is about 3" from front to back, therefore, it is not a problem. whoever recommended this , thank you!! it sure does increase the strength of the fuselage, and also, will assist in picking up the bird for transport in and out of the trailer.

Will you use a plywood mount or a machined mount?

i will probably make it out of plywood. i will investigate this further.

Mikeq;3659 wrote: Cam..I'm very impressed with what you've done so far and I appreciate you sharing this build with us.

thank you Mike. Next time i go to an IMAC event in Little Rock, i will be sure to notify you, maybe we can meet up.

tl3;3269 wrote: Here's another minor and easy mod. This helps prevent deep scalloping in the cheeks between F2 and the MB back when covering. I don't seem have my photo files anymore, so here is a doctored pic from earlier in the thread. The pic explains it best:

Use scrap 1/8 x 1/4 balsa to internally brace the stringers from the gear plate to the bottom longeron. They should be a friction fit, then just wick in a little thin ca to secure them.

t

this was a great idea!! thank you. just did this morrning.

3739=1601-IMG_5912.jpg
3739=1601-IMG_5912.jpg

finished with sheeting the bottom, however, modifications will be required once my canisters arrive. i also will have to cut out several holes for the hot air to exit. need to make the exits 3 x bigger than inlet.

i did look up trumpet-mans build thread, and he put a da 200 in his dalton. he did have to manufacture a plywood mount extension.

3740=1602-IMG_5913.jpg
3740=1602-IMG_5913.jpg
3740=1603-IMG_5914.jpg
3740=1603-IMG_5914.jpg