• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Demystifying Vacuum Bagging of foam wings!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Al,
That brings up a good point, I know when using a vacuum system you also don't have to edge glue sheeting when using resin since the resin get's sucked into the seams. Saves a TON of time and headache, thanks for mentioning that.

I know you can use resin without a vacuum but would have to edge glue the seams.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Al,
That brings up a good point, I know when using a vacuum system you also don't have to edge glue sheeting when using resin since the resin get's sucked into the seams. Saves a TON of time and headache, thanks for mentioning that.

I know you can use resin without a vacuum but would have to edge glue the seams.
The fact that I dont have to edge glue is one of the main reasons I want to try bagging.:fist_pump:

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Great thread, I got more use out of the vac system by gluing on the LE and TE stock to every surface also. No yards of tape, just enough to hold in place, no clamps, no wondering, just slightly lower pressures. Used weldbond so it wouldnt foam and easier to sand the shape.

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Great thread, I got more use out of the vac system by gluing on the LE and TE stock to every surface also. No yards of tape, just enough to hold in place, no clamps, no wondering, just slightly lower pressures. Used weldbond so it wouldnt foam and easier to sand the shape.

NICE, but I have to say........This post is useless without pics!:yesss:

If you have some, post 'em, that's a killer idea.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Terry,

Only ever used resin with weight. I'll go ahead and skip the edge gluing on the next one. One of the interesting things to me is after you vacuum bag a wing it just has a more solid feel to it!!

Al

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry,

Only ever used resin with weight. I'll go ahead and skip the edge gluing on the next one. One of the interesting things to me is after you vacuum bag a wing it just has a more solid feel to it!!

Al

Very much, Dean always described it in his Carden Pro builds as "eggshell" feel. I think it also makes wings easier to sand, but maybe it's just me, with the surface tension they just seem to get smooth quicker.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, using my video camera that is not super, and appologize for the CNC machine warming up in the background. Did not think it would pick that up quite that much!

Anyway, Part one, laying out the sheeting:

Edit, @thelaw says next time we're not using my POS camera:msn_slap:

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
When I was looking at your belly pan and turtle deck in your other thread, it dawned on me how much better bagging those parts would be over weighting then. The equal pressure in all directions has got to make that job better. I would think anyway.

Doug

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
When I was looking at your belly pan and turtle deck in your other thread, it dawned on me how much better bagging those parts would be over weighting then. The equal pressure in all directions has got to make that job better. I would think anyway.

Doug

EXACTLY!!!:yesss:

Some supporting pictures:
One other point I'd like to note is on longer parts like belly pans or wings on many planes you will need to scarf joint the sheeting. You DO NOT want to butt joint the sheets, you need to angle the joints at least 45 degrees. I have a 100 tooth fine blade in my miter saw so I cheat and simply cut them at a 45 and tape together. Make sure that any scarf joins are not connected, meaning the joints are offset from each other as you see here. Once done, tape the seams and cut out the final part.

Attachments

• _DSC0285.JPG
    _DSC0285.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 595
  • _DSC0286.JPG
    _DSC0286.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 585
  • _DSC0287.JPG
    _DSC0287.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 616
  • _DSC0288.JPG
    _DSC0288.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 577
  • _DSC0289.JPG
    _DSC0289.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 601
  • _DSC0290.JPG
    _DSC0290.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 561
  • _DSC0291.JPG
    _DSC0291.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 532
  • _DSC0292.JPG
    _DSC0292.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 579
  • _DSC0293.JPG
    _DSC0293.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 506
  • _DSC0294.JPG
    _DSC0294.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 523

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, couple of tidbits pertaining to sheeting in general. With quality hot wire cut foam there is very little surface prep to be done. Brush over the parts and make sure there are not any "fuzzy" stringies on the surface. Foam can cut differently from one batch to the next so check for any places where the wire could have left a divot or serrated type surface. This typically looks worse than it is and if vacuuming these will get smashed flat, if poly gluing the foam will fill the gaps. If they are deep enough you can lightly sand over the surface. If there are any small areas that are not flush (like if you dig in your finger nail like I did), use a motel room key and some lite-weight spackling to smooth over any holes or imperfections. This stuff weighs nothing and dries quickly. It also soaks up resin and poly so no adhesion worries.

Also backing up slightly to truing the edges of sheeting. Table saw clamp style jigs work well, I use a wide belt sander so I can do 50-60 sheets at one time and be done in about 4 minutes. This is the ideal way if you have any access at all to a sander, if not I recommend the table saw method. Worst case, the ol' straight edge and elbow grease. Anyone have methods on this please feel free to post so others can learn!!

Attachments

• _DSC0295.JPG
    _DSC0295.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 536
  • _DSC0296.JPG
    _DSC0296.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 520
  • _DSC0297.JPG
    _DSC0297.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 588
  • _DSC0298.JPG
    _DSC0298.JPG