• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 120 Timing

I bought a new DLE 120 from a fellow club member. He 's put bowman rings in it which is great but he's also changed the timing :( Would appreciate if someone could tell me what the timing is set from the factory. Also if you guys have changed it then what timing have you set? Thanks in advance.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Time it between 24-28 and your golden. Guys trying to get no vibration tick over idle by messing with the set pick up point are only making matters worse. Rcexl ignitions will be at about 2 degrees for starting and then will auto advance around 2000 and full advance at about 4000. DA's are similar.

kwilson

30cc
My only DLE experience is with the 222 and it came way too far advanced right out of the box...like 42 degrees btdc. I think the engines run best at 28, but is acceptable up to 32. I had to modify the sensors slightly just to get to 30 and the motor runs great. Easy to start and strong running. I would not trust a DLE to be set properly and highly suggest anyone that has one investing in a degree wheel and learning how to set the timing.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My only DLE experience is with the 222 and it came way too far advanced right out of the box...like 42 degrees btdc. I think the engines run best at 28, but is acceptable up to 32. I had to modify the sensors slightly just to get to 30 and the motor runs great. Easy to start and strong running. I would not trust a DLE to be set properly and highly suggest anyone that has one investing in a degree wheel and learning how to set the timing.
Was the timing issue on the 222's pretty much across the board? Or was it only on a few of the earlier? My son bought a new one for his Edge and it looks like we will be starting it this weekend. Any suggestions to be aware of? As for degree wheel... Any suggestions on where to pick up a good one? Thanks in advance.

kwilson

30cc
This has been the case on all of the 222's I have heard about. That includes 3 that I have had direct contact with and at least 4 that I have first hand accounts by their owners.
Yes, there are several other items that need to be addressed on this engine.
1. spark plugs - I know they claim they are NGK, but they have no markings and I suggest replacing them.
2. reeds - Replace them with Boyesen, either fiberglass or carbon works fine. The factory ones are trash and will tear after only a dozen or so flights.
3. rings - I'm not sure if the factory rings will cause a problem, but they are not nearly the quality of the Bowman's. And they are relatively cheap.
4. carbs - seat the needles by running them in and out several times until you get a repeatable stop point. Then set to factory settings and it will be a bit on the rich side. Fine tune from there.
Since these mods, I have run about 200 flights with no issue whatsoever and the engine is strong as an ox.
Here is a link for a free degree wheel. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/9408924-free-degree-wheel.html

kwilson

30cc
Degree wheel
Blank_Degree_Wheel.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This has been the case on all of the 222's I have heard about. That includes 3 that I have had direct contact with and at least 4 that I have first hand accounts by their owners.
Yes, there are several other items that need to be addressed on this engine.
1. spark plugs - I know they claim they are NGK, but they have no markings and I suggest replacing them.
2. reeds - Replace them with Boyesen, either fiberglass or carbon works fine. The factory ones are trash and will tear after only a dozen or so flights.
3. rings - I'm not sure if the factory rings will cause a problem, but they are not nearly the quality of the Bowman's. And they are relatively cheap.
4. carbs - seat the needles by running them in and out several times until you get a repeatable stop point. Then set to factory settings and it will be a bit on the rich side. Fine tune from there.
Since these mods, I have run about 200 flights with no issue whatsoever and the engine is strong as an ox.
Here is a link for a free degree wheel. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/9408924-free-degree-wheel.html
Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate it.