• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted

gyro

GSN Contributor
Mine too.... Hundreds of flights on 5 different planes. Only modification was the reed block sanding and a bowman ring.

I'm guessing thousands of people are running these engines without any modifications and without any problems. But if the manufacturing tolerances are not really tight (as one might expect at the price point these engines sell at) there will be a few engines on either side of the bell curve that don't function properly.

Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm guessing thousands of people are running these engines without any modifications and without any problems. But if the manufacturing tolerances are not really tight (as one might expect at the price point these engines sell at) there will be a few engines on either side of the bell curve that don't function properly.

Marc

I agree... and honestly suspect that is the same with ANY engine manufacturer out there.

I agree... and honestly suspect that is the same with ANY engine manufacturer out there.

Perhaps the bell curve distribution for a DA engine is more narrow than a DLE? Still, most (nearly all) of the DLE's will run fine. But for the guy like me who got a troublesome engine, it can be a frustrating experience.

Marc

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Any Production Management guru's in here? I had a class about 3 years ago that was mostly introductory to PM topics. What a cool field... wish I would have seen it sooner as I might have gone that direction.

I will say that any manufacturer in the hobby business probably does not have resources to go crazy with six sigma etc. But I wouldn't say all of the engine manufacturers have the same quality control. I think they face the same production issues but probably have different approaches to handling them.

The biggest take-away from that class was that production has failed if it is not on-time, on-budget, and to spec.

Yeah. I'm not complaining. I will just be happy if I can get it working right. These inverted dead sticks have beat up my airframe because I'm not doing a good job crabbing the plane in and our field is a serious hump. If you over shoot the runway, the slope down is steeper than the glide slope of the plane so it might land 250 yds away. I really should get better at crabbing, well that and hopefully fix the inverted dead sticks.

Any Production Management guru's in here? ...

I'm an electrical controls engineer. But I've worked in manufacturing facilities my entire career. The metrics used to measure quality are always a target of X with an allowed variance of plus Y and minus Z. The smaller you make Y an Z, the more product you end up with that has to be reworked or trashed. So costs definitely go up.

Marc

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Production cost goes up but returns and complaints go down. It's all about finding a balance.

I'm having trouble with my DLE 30 and 35 but believe the issue is with the way I have them tuned. Both run great, fine idle good mid-range with just a bit of burble. I can run them inverted IF I keep the throttle at 3/4 or higher. I run into problems when I try lower throttle settings on BOTH motors.

Do I need to richen up the low end a bit on both??

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm having trouble with my DLE 30 and 35 but believe the issue is with the way I have them tuned. Both run great, fine idle good mid-range with just a bit of burble. I can run them inverted IF I keep the throttle at 3/4 or higher. I run into problems when I try lower throttle settings on BOTH motors.

Do I need to richen up the low end a bit on both??

My DLE35 runs the same way. I cannot seem to tune out the mid range burble without compromising reliability so I just live with it. I'm going to switch to a higher octane (90) and 40:1 to see if that may help a bit???