• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
With so many projects still on the table, I doubt I will be starting this build in the next month. Maybe start getting things lined up. It is coming to the time of year we slow down at work so that will help to offer some extra build time. I will keep you all posted as I make progress and preparations for the build.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The Kolm really makes the mustang. The looks of the plane and the sound from the engine is just a perfect combination.
I absolutely agree with you. Was talking to Kelly @49dimes on the phone yesterday. We got to talking about the Kolm and the big Mustang. He told me in a manner of speaking, it would be so wrong to put any other engine on that plane other than the Kolm. I just don't know where I can scape up the money. Cuz I ain't pimpin' out any of my redheads. LOL. Really, for what it is...the 150 3 cylinder is not all that expensive. Not when you're looking at it in the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of schemes.... Unless something really stabs out at me in the next few months, I am really seriously considering Ferocious Frankie. But there is still "LOTS" of time before I even get to that stage.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I absolutely agree with you. Was talking to Kelly @49dimes on the phone yesterday. We got to talking about the Kolm and the big Mustang. He told me in a manner of speaking, it would be so wrong to put any other engine on that plane other than the Kolm. I just don't know where I can scape up the money. Cuz I ain't pimpin' out any of my redheads. LOL. Really, for what it is...the 150 3 cylinder is not all that expensive. Not when you're looking at it in the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of schemes.... Unless something really stabs out at me in the next few months, I am really seriously considering Ferocious Frankie. But there is still "LOTS" of time before I even get to that stage.

I have to agree with you the Kolm is the engine for the plane, if you can afford it then go for it if don’t you will regret it for sure.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
How about a Kolm with a PSRU? And swing a BIG prop?
Someday a combo like this will be on my build table with a big Mustang.

Interestingly enough, I have actually been looking into those. Have not been able to locate them. But that is exactly what I wanted to do. I mean after all if it's a Mustang, it needs a 4 blade prop.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Interestingly enough, I have actually been looking into those. Have not been able to locate them. But that is exactly what I wanted to do. I mean after all if it's a Mustang, it needs a 4 blade prop.
Be careful what you which for. A fellow flyer had a plane not a war bird but just had to have a Four bladed propeller on his plane. Helped him with gear ratio and set up this was on a DA85 buy the time it was all done it looked great and the diameter was scale but when we were done playing with pitch so that the motor could spin it properly the result was not good in my book the plane flew quite slow. He could stand it on its tail and fly vertical but a slow speed. Tremendous pull but no speed.
My opinion if you would like to have a four bladed propeller make sure the motor can spin it with out a gear reduction. A mustang must be able to do high speed runs just of the deck.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I have to say it if your are building a big ass mustang you have to able to come across the so fast that it gives a big adrenaline rush.