Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by stangflyer, Aug 27, 2018.

1. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

I remember reading that thread. That guy is an absolute wizard at detail. Definately a masterpiece. I'm going to pass on the Kolm. I'm sure of that now. I dont want the extra weight and I don't want to fight getting service. Gerhard will let me know in the next day or so on the 110 availability. The Valach is looking sweeter by the minute. On the upside, talked to Darrell at Siera Gear. Retracts ordered. He said they'll probably be ready to ship by next Tuesday. Ah yeah... that brightens my day, lifts my spirits and chases the gloom away. Lol

WMcNabb, Snoopy1, acerc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Don't it feel good when a plan starts to come together!

pawnshopmike and stangflyer like this.
  3. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Is that a video of the plane that the Stang is going to build

4. stangflyer

Now I'm really out of the blues. The "G" man sent me an email earlier today. Said the next shipment of Beast Dub engines will leave Germany next week. In this shipment will be a beautiful and bodacious, gorgeous and most voluptuous redheaded beast 110 for a certain Behemoth Stang. Happy dance, happy dance!
    giphy.gif

Jetpainter, Bartman, WMcNabb and 4 others like this.
  5. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Ok great this engine thing is solved not to much happy dancing I want see balsa dust flying and CA all over the place.

pawnshopmike likes this.
  6. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

did you ever figure out if the 110 with the gear reduction would fit in the cowl?

Jetpainter and stangflyer like this.
  7. stangflyer

Hey Bart...good to see you again. Really. Have not had time to get that far.

I am really open to as many ideas and suggestions as you all have with this build. I am going to get my last iron out of the fire and finished up, then...this build will begin.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    acerc and WMcNabb like this.
  8. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Well this is getting exciting you have decided to get the 3W inline twin red head that is one nice engine and they sound really good. I did not know that you could get gear reduction drive for it , that will make a big difference on the propeller diameter, it is going to look good.

stangflyer likes this.
  9. WMcNabb

WMcNabb 100cc

TN, USA
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM
  10. stangflyer

I got a few irons out of the fire first thing this morning and decided to break out the prints of the DS Mustang. I decided to pin them to the wall in my hallway so that I could start looking them over and start familiarizing myself with the build. Wow!!! This thing is a monster.

20181110_130930.jpg 20181110_130941.jpg 20181110_130946.jpg 20181110_141539.jpg 20181110_141544.jpg
    98" from tip of spinner to t.e. of rudder. What a commitment this will be. I feel almost married again. YUK! LOL. But from the looks of it, nothing difficult about the build. In fact, it looks as though my 12 year old grandson could build it with no problems. Hey, I will get him to build it for me. LOL