• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dumb Thumb?

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Howdy Joe!

I remember your Dad saying (about a year ago) that you had never dumb thumbed a plane. With the way that you fly that is one amazing accomplishment!!! :thumbup: :clap: :pompom:

So have you dumb thumbed one yet? Not that I wish that on anyone, but it would make us RC mortals feel better! ;)

Keep up the great work!

:flyer:

Yeah, unfortunately I piled a 104 in at XFC this past year. I will say I learned a lot from my mistake though and I'm also extremely happy it crashed when it did. I quickly discovered right after that that I was having some equipment difficulties which could have caused harm to things that are more important than toy planes (people).. Equipment difficulties isn't the reason it crashed though, that was purely my fault.

SnowDog

Yeah, unfortunately I piled a 104 in at XFC this past year. I will say I learned a lot from my mistake though and I'm also extremely happy it crashed when it did. I quickly discovered right after that that I was having some equipment difficulties which could have caused harm to things that are more important than toy planes (people).. Equipment difficulties isn't the reason it crashed though, that was purely my fault.

Wow Joe I didn't know that...when I saw that XFC video and was following the incident, I got the impression it was equipment failure. I completely agree that the real blessing in that was discovering a potential problem before it caused physical harm to a person!

So what was the "dumb thumb" move that you did that caused the crash? I'm really curious about that.

Yeah, for awhile I thought the reason it locked up in the spin was because of the equipment issues I discovered right after that. I took a few planes out to the field to try and recreate the locked up spin (but much higher, lol). After a few attempts, I discovered that if you leave the engine at full throttle while transitioning to a flat spin, the plane will over rotate and get locked up like it did. Then the only way to get out of it is bringing the throttle to idle. While trying this out at the field, it was really hard for me to give full throttle during the transition because its not natural to do so. I think though that because I was so low, I got nervous and left the throttle in hoping it would help me recover, but in the end it only made it worse.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Wow Joe I didn't know that...when I saw that XFC video and was following the incident, I got the impression it was equipment failure. I completely agree that the real blessing in that was discovering a potential problem before it caused physical harm to a person!

So what was the "dumb thumb" move that you did that caused the crash? I'm really curious about that.
+1 I thought that was equipment failure...you are human! It's good of you to admit that, you could have just kept quiet! ;)

Yeah, for awhile I thought the reason it locked up in the spin was because of the equipment issues I discovered right after that. I took a few planes out to the field to try and recreate the locked up spin (but much higher, lol). After a few attempts, I discovered that if you leave the engine at full throttle while transitioning to a flat spin, the plane will over rotate and get locked up like it did. Then the only way to get out of it is bringing the throttle to idle. While trying this out at the field, it was really hard for me to give full throttle during the transition because its not natural to do so. I think though that because I was so low, I got nervous and left the throttle in hoping it would help me recover, but in the end it only made it worse.
I guess that's one time that "when in doubt, throttle out" doesn't work! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 I thought that was equipment failure...you are human! It's good of you to admit that, you could have just kept quiet! ;)

I guess that's one time that "when in doubt, throttle out" doesn't work! :(

Haha, no reason to lie about it. I am human. :p